NEWCASTLE UNITED remain two points clear of the Premier League relegation zone after Fulham's recent revival stalled with a 3-0 home defeat to league leaders Manchester City.

While Burnley and Crystal Palace eased their relegation worries with wins over Everton and West Brom respectively, Fulham conceded three second-half goals at Craven Cottage.

Their loss means they remain two points behind the Magpies, having played a game more, and enables Steve Bruce and his players to look back on Friday' night's dramatic 1-1 draw with Aston Villa with rather more satisfaction than they might have felt at the time.

Fulham continued their momentum from last Sunday’s win at Liverpool in the early stages but were quickly punished after a slow start to the second half, despite having conceded just two goals in their previous seven league matches.

“I thought first half we took the game to Man City and played very well, were very solid out of possession,” Fulham boss Scott Parker said.

“I asked the team to be very brave in terms of how we set it up and building from midfield and I thought we did it very well.

“It’s fair to say there were some sloppy goals really in the second half. Something we’ve not been accustomed to seeing really.

“Set-play goal which was poor and two individual errors that Man City pounced on and the game was over at that point really so I think that’s the residing factor from tonight’s game.

“I asked the team to be brave, I asked the team to show courage because that’s what you have to do when you’re playing a top side like Man City and try and leave a mark or at least try and have some impact on the game and I thought we did that, but there’s no denying that we made mistakes and the goals we conceded tonight were poor goals.”

Fulham started brightly and aimed to play in Ademola Lookman behind the Manchester City back-line with long balls. The 23-year-old was found by Ivan Cavaleiro inside the first four minutes and drove towards goal but he was flagged offside.

However, it was the league leaders who had the first real chance of the game, with Alphonse Areola called into action as he spread himself to deny Torres an opener with his legs.

Scott Parker’s decision to not play a recognised striker appeared to have catch up with Fulham during the first half when they were able to get forward but the final ball was lacking and options looked limited.

City took the lead in the 47th minute when John Stones was left unmarked and he tapped home a well-weighted Joao Cancelo free-kick from the left.

Less than ten minutes later, Pep Guardiola’s side doubled their advantage after a fortunate rebound.

Joachim Andersen’s attempt to clear the ball hit team-mate Cavaleiro and the ball rebounded behind the Fulham defence and into the path of Gabriel Jesus, who had enough time and space to round Areola before slamming the ball in the back of the net.

The visitors then added a third on the hour when Tosin Adarabioyo dawdled in possession before tripping Ferran Torres in the area. Aguero fired home his first Premier League goal since January 2020 to seal the three points.