MANAGER Jason Ainsley admitted that his team wasn’t good enough in the first half after Spennymoor Town's seven-game unbeaten run came to an abrupt end.

They were hammered 4-1 by Altrincham at Moss Lane and dropped out of the play off places as a consequence.

A slow start saw them go two goals down, like last week against Telford. But after pulling one goal back courtesy of another cracker by Tyler Forbes they couldn’t grab another, and Altrincham scored twice more in the second half to move up to fifth in the table.

Moors are now eighth, on goal difference below Gateshead and four ahead of Darlington.

“The first 20 minutes killed us,” said Ainsley. “We put things on the board in the dressing room before the game and told them that the wide players like to cut inside on their opposite foot. Two mistakes killed us in the first half, we weren’t close enough to them. Altrincham are a good side who play good football. They scored three times in the game when the wide men cut in on their favourite foot, which was disappointing from our point of view.

“In the second half we changed the system and had a right go. Tyler Forbes scored another wonder goal, and then we were the better side. Goals change games, and unfortunately their third goal deflated us. It was disappointing to concede that goal when we were so much on top. We conceded from a corner for the second successive week, and that gave us a mountain to climb. We had four or five players off form on Saturday, and you can’t get away with that.

“We played so well in the second half, but came away 4-1 down. I can’t fault the effort in the second half, but the first half wasn’t good enough. I don’t think the scoreline reflected the second half performance. We have to bounce back this week against Hereford.

“Tyler scored a fantastic goal, he’s too good for this level. He’s been a breath of fresh air since he came into the team.”

Alty made it 1-0 after just three minutes, Elliott Durrell curling the ball past Mattie Gould from a John Lundstram pass, and it was 2-0 when Jordan Hulme beat two defenders and fired past Gould from almost the same position.

After half time Moors rolled their sleeves up, just as they had done last week against Telford, and full-back Forbes showed his ability from long range, beating the keeper with a rasping drive into the top corner to put Moors in with a shout.

But their hopes of getting an equaliser were dashed when Tom Hannigan got away from his marker, and headed a corner past Gould for 3-1.

Ainsley made two subs, but it was Altrincham who broke through again right at the end when Hulme cleverly chipped Gould from the edge of the box.

Spennymoor: Gould, Forbes, Brogan, Kennedy, Buddle, Magnay, Roberts (Johnson 88), Henry, Taylor, Ramshaw, Anderson (Boyes 83). Subs (not used): Mason, Eve, Cogdon

Attendance: 1,255