HARROGATE enhanced their promotion chances by moving up to second with a 2-0 win at Ebbsfleet.

The Railwaymen stretched their winning run to five matches with a strong victory, after a pre-match injury to the original referee caused a delay to kick-off.

The match eventually kicked off just over 15 minutes late, with Kirsty Dowle taking the whistle and a new fourth official being sourced from the crowd.

Harrogate made the breakthrough six minutes from half-time, when Connor Hall fired in a wonderful left-footed volley, shortly after Jack Muldoon saw an effort ruled out for offside.

Ebbsfleet faced a bigger mountain to climb when Josh Payne was sent off for a second bookable offence just short of the hour mark, before Muldoon made sure of the three points by tucking home a cross from ex-Sunderland man Jon Stead in the 63rd minute.

Harrogate are now three points shy of leaders Barrow in the battle to climb into League Two.

Harrogate: Belshaw; Bradley, Hall, Emmett (Harratt 84), Falkingham, Burrell, Kerry, Stead,, Smith, Muldoon (Kiernann 88), Diamond (Thomson 69). Subs (not used): Cracknell, Gallacher.

STEVE Watson lamented the little moment that made all the difference between York City and King's Lynn Town - but refused to pin anything to luck.

Adam Marriott, the top scorer across all three divisions of the National League, added another to his tally as the North tier leaders beat the Minstermen 1-0 in Norfolk.

He was quickest to the ball as Pete Jameson failed to hold onto an effort by the hosts' man of the match, 21-year-old Norwich City loanee Simon Power, and he poked in from very close range.

York had good chances of their own. Joe Tait was denied from inside the six-yard box and Kieran Green forced Alex Street into a good save to his bottom-left corner.

Watson said: "I can't have a go at the lads for the way they performed and set about their jobs against the team who have scored more than anybody.

"I thought we defended well and we broke away as we did at home but couldn't find that clean bit of finishing. It's the story of a lot of games.

"The top scorer pounced on one little error in the box. It's one of those seasons for him, and unfortunately that was the difference between us today.”

York City: Jameson, Griffiths (Langstaff 74), Tait, McNulty, Newton, Ferguson, McLaughlin, Moke, Green, Kempster (Maguire 58), Burrow. Subs (not used): Whitley, Bond, Durrell.

TWO fortunate goals helped Gateshead to a 2-0 win over Altrincham at the International Stadium.

Altrincham keeper Anthony Thompson fumbled into his own net from a corner just before half time and debutant Mitch Curry, on loan from Middlesbrough, doubled the lead by scrambling home from a cross just after the hour mark.

Gateshead had earlier gone close to taking the lead when a Nicky Deverdics corner was headed back by Josh Lundstram and cleared off his own line by Andy White.

Altrincham had started much brighter but Gateshead never conceded and grew in confidence to seal the points.

Gateshead: James; Forbes, Williamson, Cooper; Nicholson, Deverdics, Olley, Agnew (Oliver 82), Barrow; Curry (Tear 78), Preston (Thomson 89). Subs (not used): Guthrie, Cranston.