Leamington 2 Spennymoor Town 2.

Spennymoor are now unbeaten in twelve league matches after drawing 2-2 at the Phillips 66 Stadium – but two penalties decided the outcome of the game.

Moors recovered well from conceding a goal in just the opening minutes, especially considering that they lost to the same opponents in the FA Trophy a fortnight previously.

Manager Jason Ainsley was grateful for a point, although he was disappointed that his side fought back to lead 2-1, only then to concede an equaliser.

The game was decided on two penalties – Moors’ Glen Taylor missed his, but Josh March of Leamington hit the target when he had the opportunity.

Nevertheless, they are still in sixth place, and nicely in striking distance of the leading group.

“I would have taken a point before the game, even more so when we went a goal down in the first minute,” he said. “We set our stall out, spoke about the importance of the first fifteen minutes, but then we conceded a goal.

“We felt comfortable when the score was 2-1, and if Glen had scored his penalty, then that would have finished the game off. We told him afterwards not to worry about it because he’s won more games for us than he’s lost.

“I didn’t think that we were going to draw until we gave away a soft penalty. I thought we controlled the game in the second half and the two wide players were always a threat, so we went away disappointed with just a point.

“I thought that we were the better side, and a lot of positives came out of the game. I thought the effort of the lads deserved the three points.

“At least we’re still unbeaten, which is great. We were without a game last week, and again this week, and so it was important to get some points on the board.”

Moors got off to the worst possible start when they conceded a goal after just 45 seconds.

Leamington striker Josh March crossed into the Spennymoor box, and Kaiman Anderson had plenty of time to head past Mattie Gould.

Moors slowly recovered, and nearly levelled when Rob Ramshaw’s low cross was turned against his own post by a defender, but Moors got back on level terms on 22 minutes.

Moors caught the home side completely on the break when they cleared a corner. Glen Taylor found Ben McKenna whose shot was blocked, but the ball fell for Ramshaw to superbly volley past the keeper, Jake Weaver.

Taylor just missed with a header before Moors went further ahead with another good effort on 29 minutes, when Jamie Chandler and then Taylor laid off McKenna’s cross for Ryan Hall to fire home from the edge of the box.

It was nearly 3-1 when Weaver punched the ball straight to Taylor, but the striker’s return shot was held by the keeper.

Shane Henry missed another good chance at the start of the second half, and then they were awarded a penalty when Taylor was bundled to the ground inside the area by Jack Edwards, but Taylor put the spot kick high over the top.

Leamington pulled level from a penalty of their own on 75 minutes when Chris Mason, who went to centre half at half time because of an injury to Nathan Buddle, was adjudged to have fouled March, who scored from the spot.

The home side nearly won it near the end though when March beat Gould with a long-range shot, but the ball came back off the bar.

Team: Gould, Magnay, Mason, Chandler, Buddle (sub Brogan 46), Curtis, Hall, Henry, Taylor, Ramshaw, McKenna Subs not used: Anderson, Roberts, Boyes, Johnson.

Attendance 359.

Moors’ home game against Altrincham, which was postponed on 30th November because of Altrincham’s FA Cup run, has been arranged for Tuesday 14th January.

In the BetVictor NPL Premier Division, leaders South Shields were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Warrington, while Morpeth beat Nantwich 1-0. Whitby went down 2-1 at Stalybridge.

In the North West Division, Marske lost 2-1 at Droylsden, but Dunston won 2-0 at Mossley.

Consett won their third round replay in the FA Vase by 1-0 against Wythenshawe, and now play Lutterworth in the next round.