Spennymoor Town 2 Kidderminster 1.

Spennymoor manager Jason Ainsley paid tribute to “the walking wounded” after a late goal by Glen Taylor gave them victory over Kidderminster at the Brewery Field.

Ainsley had to make several personnel and positional changes during the game because of injuries, and there were clearly players struggling when Taylor scored his third goal in two games with a neat header Four players finished the game with injuries. Stephen Brogan and James Curtis were subbed during the game, Jamie Chandler hobbled around after they’d used all their subs, and Andrew Johnson was down with a groin injury after the end of the game. They join Callum Williams, Shane Henry and Scott Harrison on the injured list ahead of their FA Cup tie against Ashton United this Saturday.

“The players showed massive character again to come back from 1-0 down and win the game,” he said. “We had walking wounded. We had Dan Ward playing at right back, we had midfielder Jake Hibbs, who slots in at right back if necessary, playing at left back. James Curtis had twelve stitches in a head injury, while Andrew Johnson’s groin injury is the same as last season, and he will be out for a while. It’s devastating news for him. Jamie Chandler was hobbling around at the end.

“Our lads could have folded when we went 1-0 down, but we had a right go at them at half time, and we got a real reaction in the second half. It was a massive result, and Rob Ramshaw deserved tremendous credit. His first goal was well taken with a great ball in, and his second was a great run and great cross for Glen to score.

“Glen is always a threat, and he does that time and time again. Without a shadow of a doubt, he is one of the best in the league.

“We’ve played better than that and lost this season. You can’t question the players’ desire and willingness to work for the cause, and when we were having to switch things around because of all the injuries, we would have been happy with a draw “That’s not luck when you score in the 91st minute – that’s desire, workrate and the work that we do with the players off the pitch. To win like that was extra special.”

Moors started the game on top without really creating any real chances, and it was Kidderminster who nearly took the lead on 20 minutes when Ashley Chambers found Jaiden White, but Moors keeper Mattie Gould pulled off a good save.

The nippy Chambers then gave Kidderminster the lead, when he latched on to a through ball after Moors lost the ball in midfield and gave Gould no chance with a strike into the top corner of the net.

Moors got more into the game towards half time. Taylor headed Andrew Johnson’s corner over the top, then Kidderminster defender Cliff Moyo nearly put the ball into his own net but was rescued by his alert keeper.

Taylor put an effort just wide at the start of the second half, and they equalised on 54 minutes when Stephen Brogan crossed to the far post, where Rob Ramshaw cleverly headed past the keeper, his first of the season.

Moors were then forced into a reshuffle because of injuries to Brogan and Curtis in the space of five minutes, with Jake Hibbs and Dan Ward both coming on.

Nevertheless, Moors kept going, and Kidderminster keeper Tom Palmer saved twice from Johnson.

Moors midfielder Jamie Chandler then picked up a knock and could hardly continue, but undeterred, Moors got the winner in stoppage time when Ramshaw got to the by line on the left and pulled the ball back for Taylor to head in.

However, the game ended on a low note for Moors, with Johnson needing to be helped off the field after several minutes’ treatment to a groin injury.

Spennymoor: Gould, Magnay, Curtis (Ward 71), Buddle, Brogan (Hibbs 58), McKenna, Ramshaw, Chandler, Johnson, Roberts (Boyes 78), Taylor.

Subs not used: Hall, Anderson Attendance 1036 In the BetVictor Premier League, South Shields are now three points clear at the top after a 2-1 away win at Buxton, while previous leaders Whitby lost 3-0 at home to Matlock. Morpeth drew 1-1 with Stafford Rangers and are 14th.

In the North West Division, Dunston lost 3-2 at Trafford, while Marske had a man sent off early in the game and lost 2-1.