Spennymoor Town 2 King’s Lynn 2.

Spennymoor manager Jason Ainsley was very happy with his team’s performance even though they were held to a 2-2 draw by league leaders King’s Lynn at the Brewery Field on Saturday.

Moors played some of their best football of the season against their visitors, but they conceded twice to setpieces, which has been a big reason why they’ve dropped too many points this season and are in the bottom four.

But Ainsley is optimistic that the corner has been turned, and they’ll start climbing the table soon.

“I thought we were excellent, and should have been 3-0 up after 10 minutes, but once again two headers have killed us,” said Ainsley. “Our gameplan worked well, and our two forwards, Adam Boyes and James Roberts, were always a threat – they both got their rewards with a goal each.

“We looked very good in open play, but missed a hatful of chances against a very good side -- I could understand why they’re near the top of the table. Considering the number of injuries that we have at the moment, I thought the lads were fantastic.

“For their first goal, Shane Henry was off injured and his man scored, so we must be better organised. For the second, we left their lad unmarked. People know their jobs, it’s just frustrating. When you score twice at home, you should make sure that you win football matches.

“The ironic thing is, I didn’t think that we were at our best last week when we beat Chester, but we played our best of the season so far on Saturday and ended up drawing.

“We could have won the game later on and didn’t, but I’m still very happy with our performance.

“King’s Lynn are the best side that we’ve played this season, but they might be saying the same thing about us.

“We must though do better at setpieces, we’re conceding too many goals from them.

“It will change, and we’ve got to be positive.”

Moors started at a fast tempo, and caused King’s Lynn all sorts of problems.

James Roberts twice had shots saved by Lynn keeper Alex Street in only the second minute, then Dan Ward set up Adam Boyes, who put an easy header over the top.

There was loads of Moors pressure after that, with the visitors lucky to survive, and Roberts was denied again when he got away, but Street denied him.

The opening goal finally came on 25 minutes when Rob Ramshaw crossed for Boyes to volley firmly past Street into the net.

But the Norfolk side nearly equalised out of the blue with a header by former York striker Michael Gash that came back off the post, and then the same happened to Adam Marriott following an effort on the turn.

It should have been 2-0 to Moors though just before half time, when Boyes sidefooted wide from a cut back from Roberts.

But King’s Lynn were back again just on half time, when Shane Henry popped up on the line to clear from McAuley.

Henry though went down injured soon after the restart, and he was receiving treatment when King’s Lynn levelled on 54 minutes when Rory McAuley’s header was turned in by Marriott.

But Moors kept their composure and regained the lead on 65 minutes when Boyes split the defence for Roberts to place into the bottom corner.

King’s Lynn kept going though, and after Moors keeper Mattie Gould made a great save from Marriott, McAuley levelled from a corner.

Moors nearly pinched it though in the dying minutes when sub Gavin Cogdon’s close range shot was well saved by Street.

Moors’ next game is at home to Blyth on Tuesday night, kick off 7.45.

Team: Spennymoor Town: Gould, Williams, Curtis, Magnay, Henry, (sub Brogan 54), Ward (Cogdon 84), Chandler, Ramshaw, McKenna, Boyes, Roberts (sub Johnson 75).

Subs not used: Mason, Atkinson.

Attendance 1063.