Guiseley 3 Spennymoor Town 1.

Spennymoor’s defending let them down when they were beaten 3-1 at Nethermoor in the Vanarama National League North tonight.

Moors were beaten by three setpieces, with Guiseley striker Aaron Martin profiting the most, scoring twice and being denied a hat trick late in the game.

Moors’ defender James Curtis prevented Guiseley from taking the lead after 3 minutes when a cross came in from the right-hand side for Aaron Martin to have a low shot saved by Mattie Gould, and then Curtis managed to block the follow up attempt.

But Moors had a chance themselves at the other end when James Roberts set up Glen Taylor, who fired over from the edge of the box.

Hamza Bencherif was just off target for Guiseley from a corner, but then Moors had a good spell of pressure, which saw them create a chance for Roberts, whose effort from a tight angle was saved by Guiseley keeper George Sykes-Kenworthy.

But instead it was the home side who broke through on 31 minutes, when Martin headed his fifth goal of the season with a free header from a right-wing corner.

However, Moors levelled just four minutes later when Nathan Buddle helped on a free kick for Andrew Johnson to have an effort go into the net off Sykes-Kenworthy, who made a mess of trying to stop the ball from going into the net.

But Moors fell behind again to a bad goal from their point of view just three minutes after the resumption, when a long throw was flicked on for Martin to head a simple goal unmarked at the far post.

And Martin nearly got another from a setpiece but was just off target as Moors left him unmarked again.

Moors recovered again and went close through Johnson from a great lay off by Ben McKenna, and then Dan Ward struck the bar. Buddle had a header cleared off the line, but again they conceded from a throw in to give themselves plenty to do.

Martin again found space to fire towards goal, but the ball was blocked, and it came out to Lee Shaw who fired into the bottom corner.

Martin almost scored his hat trick after he weaved through the Moors defence, but Karl Magnay cleared the ball off the line.

Team: Gould, Magnay, Buddle, Curtis, Henry, Chandler, Ward, Roberts (sub Hall 85), McKenna (sub Anderson 70), Johnson (sub Boyes 85), Taylor Subs: Williams, Atkinson, Attendance 774.