Spennymoor made it seven magnificent wins from their last seven games with a narrow 1-0 win over Leamington on Saturday.

Just like he was on Tuesday at Altrincham, Mark Anderson was the goalscoring hero, but Moors also had keeper Mattie Gould to thank for a penalty stop to protect their lead in the second half.

They still remain in third place, but they are now just a point off the top of the table, because second placed Stockport were in Trophy action, and leaders Chorley surprisingly lost 1-0 at home to Ashton United. A fourth promotion in six seasons is still very much on the cards.

“I thought we did well in the first half, but in the second half it was all hands to the pump because we didn’t really come out of the dressing room,” said manager Jason Ainsley.

“Maybe not getting back until 2.30 on Wednesday morning from Altrincham was a factor and took something out of the lads’ legs, so they had to grind out a win. They worked ever so hard on a bobbly pitch.

“Matt’s save was superb, he did that earlier this season to make sure we won, and he did it again Saturday.

“Thanks for his save must also go to our goalkeeping coach Barry Farr, who had studied videos of where Leamington put their penalty kicks, and so the homework paid off. These are the fine margins that we talk about, this win could be so important at the end of the season.

“I think John Curtis and Scott Harrison were also outstanding at the back, and kept a clean sheet for the third game running. Defensively I think we are stronger than we were a year ago, and those lads are providing the platform for great results.

“It is results that matter now, not just performances. Seven wins from seven games is phenomenal in any league.

“We’re still third in the table and keeping under the radar. We’re going about our business very nicely.”

Moors took a while to get going, and nearly took the lead on 22 minutes when Glen Taylor headed a free kick by Stephen Brogan just over the bar.

However, Anderson scored his third goal in three games on 33 minutes when Taylor held the ball up well and set up Anderson to fire past Leamington keeper Tony Breedon.

Rob Ramshaw nearly fired the second just before half time, but Leamington levelled when Ahmed Obeng got through, and Gould saved well at his feet.

The game went from end to end after that, with Gould making another save, and Taylor and Andrew Johnson going close at the other end.

Moors’ big turning point came on 77 minutes, when Leamington sub Dan Sweeney was brought down by Moors full back Callum Williams, but Gould guessed correctly and blocked Colby Bishop’s penalty.

The Moors keeper said afterwards: “It was a massive win for us, especially with Chorley losing, and we’ve got to keep going on the run we’re on. It’s always nice to save a penalty, but the lads in front of me were brilliant.”

Moors’ next opponents are Stockport, who face a long-distance midweek replay to Maidstone after drawing in the FA Trophy on Saturday. The club will be running a free supporters bus to Edgeley Park for the game.

Gould, Williams, Harrison, Curtis, Brogan, Chandler, Ramshaw, Henry, Johnson (sub Hall 66), Anderson (sub Boyes 79), Taylor Subs: Thackray, Agnew, Tuton Attendance 786 In the EvoStik Premier, South Shields won 2-0 at Bamber Bridge, but Whitby lost 3-0 at Hyde United.

In the EvoStik East, leaders Morpeth had a good 1-0 away win at Ossett United, but Marske lost 2-1 at Tadcaster.