Spennymoor 2 Kidderminster 1.

Spennymoor moved into fifth place in the Vanarama National League North with a hard-earned victory over Kidderminster at the Brewery Field last night.

Moors were some way below their best in the first half, but a goal just after half time by Ryan Hall gave them the lift they needed to go on and win the game.

With three players missing through injury and illness, Moors took a while to find their usual rhythm, and it was Kidderminster who had the first shot on goal, a 20 yarder by Declan Weeks that went over the top of Mattie Gould’s crossbar.

Joe Ironside, who has returned to Kidderminster from York, tried his luck from the same distance, but again the effort was off target.

Moors got a free kick for a foul just outside the box by Josh Heaton on Glen Taylor on 22 minutes, and Stephen Brogan forced a full length save out of keeper Brandon Hall with a trademark curling left foot shot that was going inside the left-hand post.

Kane Richards put another attempt by Kidderminster over the bar with the game lacking a spark at that stage.

Moors had keeper Gould to thank for keeping them level on 33 minutes. A free kick came over from the right from Weeks that Richards met on the volley at the far post, but Gould somehow managed to block at point blank range. The ball came out to the edge of the box to Sam Austin, who curled a right foot shot inches wide of the right-hand post.

But Moors replied when Ryan Hall played a good one-two with Callum Williams on the right, and his low cross was beat Hall, but Heaton cleared off the line.

Gould came to Moors’ rescue again when Rob Atkinson missed a through ball, letting in Richards but Gould timed his dash off his line perfectly to save at his feet.

Moors took the lead in the 45th minute, when Taylor picked the ball up in midfield and played it to his left for Andrew Johnson to run on and slip past Hall from an acute angle for his sixth goal of the season.

But Moors held on to their lead for less than a minute, when a patient build up inside the Moors box ended with Lee Vaughan crossing from the right for Aaron Phillips to charge in and head past Gould.

Taylor nearly put Moors in front straight after the break when he chased a through ball into the box, but Hall just managed to turn his shot out for a corner.

Moors took the lead courtesy of some dreadful defending by Kidderminster on 50 minutes when Weeks and Phillips collided over a long clearance by Gould, allowing Ryan Hall a clear run on goal, and he slotted the ball past Brandon Hall.

After Chambers had appeals for a penalty turned down, Moors went straight up the other end with Shaun Tuton breaking through, but Hall saved at his near post, then Hall made a flying save to touch Taylor’s fierce drive over the top.

Kidderminster showed how good a passing team they could be when a patient move involving several players ended with Chambers firing just wide from inside the box.

Moors were furious not to be awarded a penalty on 73 minutes when Ryan Hall set up Taylor, whose right foot shot was beating Brandon Hall, and covering defender Vaughan seemed to palm the ball over the bar, but the referee awarded a corner instead.

Spennymoor: Gould, Williams, Brogan, Thackray, Atkinson, Curtis, Hall, Henry, Taylor, Johnson (sub Kempster 82), Tuton (sub Boyes 67).

Subs: Elliott, Bayne, Ramshaw,