YORK City boss Sam Collins praised his team for shaking off the effects of a sickness bug to secure a 2-0 home win over FC United of Manchester.

Alex Bray was forced off after just 25 minutes due to the illness and, although Collins admitted the performance could have been better, he reasoned that the side’s standards were affected by “five or six players” feeling under the weather.

A goal in each half from Alex Harris and Jordan Burrow – the latter from the penalty spot – saw the Minstermen move up four places to 13th in the National League North table.

Collins told the York Press: “I’m absolutely delighted to get the three points because we had five or six players who were suffering from a bug who got through the game, while Alex Bray had to come off with it.

“We didn’t play very well in the first half when some of them were maybe getting the bug out of their system, but we hung in there and Adam Bartlett was outstanding for us and you need that sometimes.

“Ultimately we got a clean sheet and the lads showed their determination to win the game despite not feeling well. We just have to hope the bug doesn’t go through the rest of the team now before Tuesday night’s game against Leamington.”

York City: Bartlett; Dyer, Digie, Davis, Newton (Ironside 46); Hawkins, Griffiths, Moke; Harris, Burrow, Bray (Ferguson 25). Subs (not used): Langstaff, Tait, Wright.

GATESHEAD had no way of stopping National League leaders Leyton Orient stay ahead of Salford thanks to a routine 2-0 victory.

Josh Koroma curled a 30-yard effort against the bar just before half-time before netting the opener in the 59th minute with a real moment of quality. The winger picked up the ball on the edge of the box and cut inside before finding the top corner.

Gateshead, sitting seventh, almost equalised when Tom White's volley flew narrowly wide, while at the other end Macauley Bonne was denied by a fine save by Aynsley Pears.

But Pears was powerless to stop Bonne netting his 17th of the season in injury time following a poor back pass, and Gateshead's misery was complete when Greg Olley was shown a second yellow card.

Gateshead: Pears; Tinkler, Kerr, Williamson, Mellish (O’Donnell 77), Barrow, White, Molyneux (Rigg 64), Olley, Armstrong, Boden. Subs (not used): Foden, Hunter, Devitt.

HARROGATE Town got back to winning ways with a deserved 2-1 win against Maidenhead United in the National League.

Callum Howe headed in from a corner in the 11th minute and Town applied strong pressure, with Jack Muldoon striking a post and then being denied by a block on the line.

Maidenhead equalised against the run of play when Reece Cole's free-kick was deflected into the path of Adrian Clifton, who made no mistake.

The hosts were unable to hold on for a point, though. Kelvin Langmead produced a shot on the turn to put Harrogate back in front and Joe Leesley was denied a third by the woodwork.

Harrogate: Belshaw, Langmead, Emmett, Burrell, Fallowfield, Falkingham, Thomson (Woods 66), Leesley, Muldoon (Knowles 65), Beck. Subs (not used): Cracknell, Williams, Kerry.