LUKE James netted to give Hartlepool United a 1-0 win at Spennymoor Town.

The striker, back at Pools after signing last week when his contract at Forest Green Rovers was cut short, turned in from close range, the only goal of a competitive game.

Pools boss Matthew Bates fielded six of his summer signings in the starting XI, with the most recent recruit Marcus Dinanga on the bench.

The striker signed on loan from Burton this week was introduced as a second-half substitute.

Moors chief Jason Ainsley gave new keeper Matthew Gould a run-out from the off. He was beaten by a fine rising drive from midfielder Josh Hawkes, but the  ball crashed back off the inside of the frame of the goal.

Before then a clever header from Andrew Daves in the Moors’ box sailed across goal but evaded his team-mates.

Rob Ramshaw bounced a volley wide for Moors, who were getting most of their success down their right hand side, getting at Pools’ centre-half Myles Anderson and wing-back Mark Kitching.

Moors did have the ball in the net on 64 minutes, a low angled finish from Stephen Brogan beating Loach, but the effort was flagged offside.

Pools were controlling possession when they could, with central midfield pairing Liam Noble and Nicky Featherstone prominent.

Amid a raft of substitutions, Moors’ Glen Noble broke away, but Loach saved low at his near post.

Noble tried his luck with a free-kick from 25-yards out. His clipped effort went over the defensive wall and against the frame of the goal.

A mix-up between Loach and Anderson allowed Rob Ramshaw in, but Loach was alert enough to divet the ball away with an outstretched leg.

Jake Cassidy fired a firm shot into the palms of keeper Gould, and the game ended with Cassidy tangling with defender Curtis.

SPENNYMOOR TOWN: Gould; Williams, Brogan, Chandler (Atkinson 80), Thackray, Curtis, Hall (Anderson 63), Henry (Hibbs 46), Taylor, Ramshaw, Foley (Johnson 63).

Subs: Johnson, Trialist A , Trialist B, Trialist C, Trialist D.

HARTLEPOOL UNITED: Loach; Anderson, Davies, Magnay (Laing 46); Kitching, Hawkes (Newton 84), Featherstone (Woods 70), Noble (Hawkins 84), Donaldson (Richardson 70); James (Cassidy 63), Muir (Dinanga 63).

Sub (not used): Catterick.

Referee: Gary Hart (Darlington)