DURHAM put forward a resilient response to Warwickshire's total of 424 leaving their Specsavers County Championship Division Two contest in the balance after day two at Emirates Riverside.

Jonathan Trott continued his fine form from the opening day to remain unbeaten on 170 as the visitors were able to record a potent score, with Matt Salisbury and Chris Rushworth both notching four wickets.

Durham were solid in their reply as Tom Latham and Cameron Steel put on 96 for the first wicket. Oliver Hannon-Dalby struck twice, but Steel and Graham Clark were unbeaten as the home side closed on 138-2.

The visitors started the day three runs shy of the 300-run mark, with Trott and Keith Barker unbeaten at the crease. Barker guided his side past 300, but he fell for 27 edging a delivery from Salisbury through to Ryan Davies. Rushworth made the next breakthrough for the home side as he clipped Jeetan Patel's off-stump bail to send the Warwickshire skipper back to the pavilion.

Trott continued to frustrate the Durham attack, meandering his way to his 150 off 261 deliveries before the end of the first session. Chris Wright fell to Gareth Harte before his side passed 400, and although Trott remained stoic at the crease unbeaten on 170, Warwickshire were all out for 424 as Rushworth and Nathan Rimmington picked up the final two wickets.

Durham needed a strong response from their openers, which had not been forthcoming in the Championship this term. However, Steel and Latham were able to see off the threat of the new ball from Wright and Barker. Patel almost removed Steel with a legside delivery, which almost saw the opener stumped by Tim Ambrose.

The duo were forced to battle for their runs, reaching their 50 partnership in the 21st over before the second interval of the day.

Latham survived a good lbw shout from Sidebottom on 34 against a delivery that nipped back. The New Zealander held his composure to reach his second fifty of the season in the County Championship, taking 120 balls to reach the milestone.

Warwickshire made the breakthrough as the openers approached their century stand. Hannon-Dalby found the edge of Latham's bat, allowing Ambrose to claim the catch behind. Will Smith followed him back to the pavilion suffering the same fate as his team-mate after scoring only two.

Steel and Clark were forced into a defensive stance towards the end of the day as runs were hard to come by. Steel joined Latham in making 50, highlighting his patience by taking 158 balls to reach the milestone. Durham remained only two wickets down at stumps, although still 286 runs behind Warwickshire's first-innings total.