Spennymoor assistant manager Jason Ainsley has highlighted the club's army of supporters as a major factor after clinching the second division title with a 1-0 win at Penrith on Saturday.

Over 150 fans made the journey across the Pennines, where a late goal from sub Tom Jones courtesy of a pass by Adam Johnston gave them the three points and the club's first prize since it was reborn under the name of Spennymoor Town.

Ainsley said: "The supporters were unbelievable, and they've made a big difference wherever we've played.

"They've always followed us in large numbers, and lifted us when things haven't been going so well.

"This team can do well in the first division - we haven't lost a league game now since November, and we want to finish the season unbeaten.

"We've only lost two league games all season."

In the first division, Billingham Town kept the pressure on Sunderland Nissan and Whitley Bay by winning 2-1 at Bishop Auckland.

Bishops got off to a great start when Bryan Stewart dribbled through and beat Darren Collier, but Town equalised when Chris Emms cut in from the left and beat Paul Clements with a 30 yarder.

But Bishops slipped to their fourth successive defeat when a right wing corner wasn't cleared, and Robbie Hutchinson scored from a few yards.

To make matters worse for Bishops, they had keeper Clements sent off for handling outside the area, Bishops' third dismissal in as many games.

Bottom club Darlington RA were within two minutes of a shock result at home to champions Newcastle Blue Star until the visitors equalised with a late penalty.

The RA got off to a great start after just two minutes with a header by Michael Chiu from a corner, and they looked as if they might hold on for only their second win since Christmas, even though Star hit the bar and had a goal disallowed, but Craig Tate grabbed a point from the spot following a handball.

The RA, however, are now waiting to see whether Horden will appeal against their three point deduction for failing to fulfil their fixture against Sunderland Nissan last month.

If their appeal fails, then as the table stands at the moment the RA will move up to second from bottom and could be saved from relegation.

West Auckland striker Garry Barnes scored one of West's best goals of the season when he chipped Jarrow Roofing keeper Jonathan Carmichael from the touchline 45 yards out and set them up for a 2-0 win after just five minutes.

Barnes then added the second after 20 minutes from a left wing cross by Kevin Bromley. West are now up to sixth.

Shildon managed to draw 1-1 at Tow Law, even though they only had the bare 11 to start the game, and then three players picked up injuries during it.

Lawyers took the lead after ten minutes when Andrew Thompson headed in a Derek Waters cross, but Shildon levelled when Daniel Moore was fouled, and Stuart Niven scored from the spot.

Bedlington are now third bottom, and possibly safe depending on the departures of Durham and Newcastle Blue Star, after a last minute goal by Robert Eastway gave them a 2-1 win at Morpeth.

Newcastle Benfield won 3-2 at Northallerton.

Durham extended their unbeaten run to ten games with a goalless draw at Ashington.

In the other second division games, Seaham Red Star still need another point to guarantee promotion after they were beaten 3-1 at Crook Town.

Crook striker Gary Mitchell slotted home to give his side the lead, but Andy Jennings turned the ball home for the equaliser. Crook quickly regained the lead before half-time when Mitchell turned in Phil McGuire's cross, and then Mitchell completed his hat trick from the spot following a foul.

Mitchell has now scored 30 league goals this season.

Washington need four points from their remaining three games to ensure at least third place after their 1-0 home win over Sunderland RCA.

Brandon's 2-1 win at Prudhoe means that the home side cannot finish outside the bottom two, even taking Sunderland RCA's impending three point deduction into account.

Craig Macklin and a Michael Fort penalty put Brandon 2-0 up, before Stephen Clark replied late on for Prudhoe.

Brandon manager Colin Myers had to play in goal - not for the first time this season - because their regular keeper was unavailable.

Hebburn had their best win of the season, by 6-1 at Esh Winning.

Joe Donaghie, Michael Pooley and Danny Gray put them 3-0 up at half-time.

After the break Esh lost their keeper because of injury before Donaghie, Michael Barnes and Gary McCartney added further goals. Esh's consolation came from Danny O'Brien.

Esh finished the game with only ten men because of injuries.

Whickham came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at home to Guisborough.

South Shields, who were one of the promotion contenders at the turn of the year, are now fifth after beating Ryton 1-0, while North Shields won 1-0 at Team Northumbria.