A BANNED motorist who previously denied three separate cases of dangerous driving within five weeks, has changed his pleas to guilty.

Hayden David Bowers was to have gone on trial at Durham Crown Court over the trilogy of motoring offences, in two of which an accident took place, all said to have been committed last autumn.

But, on the day of trial, his counsel, Jonathan Harley, asked for the charges to be put again, and this time Bowers admitted three counts each of dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, and driving without insurance, two of failing to stop after an accident, plus one of failing to stop for a constable.

One involved a Saab car, in The Grove, Coxhoe, on Thursday September 20, while the others were in a Ford Transit Connect van, on the A688 in County Durham, on September 4, and a Ford Focus, on Melrose Drive, Bishop Auckland, on October 9.

When asked at a plea hearing in November about the allegations, Bowers told Judge Christopher Prince: “I’m not the driver in any of them.”

The case was adjourned for a trial and Bowers, 23, was remanded in custody.

Following his changes of pleas, Judge Prince told him: “You’ll not be sentenced today, but when you are, you’ll be going to prison for quite a long time.”

The defendant, of Grey Street, Bishop Auckland, was remanded in custody pending sentence on February 8,