A VILLAGE chapel which held its final service last September could be converted into two houses if plans are approved.

Durham County Council has received a planning application to turn the Winston Methodist Chapel on Front Street in Winston, near Barnard Castle, into two two-storey homes.

The proposal, by Ms C Boyes of Cleatlam, would see the main body of the 1902 building split internally and the existing lobby used as a communal access.

External alterations would consist of modification of a window on the western gable, relocation of the back door and installation of French doors on the eastern gable– all with stone heads and sills to match existing ones.

The main lancet windows would be modified, with opaque glass to retain the privacy of nearby Meadowbrook House, and rooflights added for natural light.

The larger property, which already has a ground floor extension which once housed the chapel's historic organ, would have three bedrooms and a downstairs utility and study, while next door would be two bedroomed.

In her application, Ms Boyes states that the chapel 'presents a strong visual impact on Front Street' and scheme would see its character retained and enhanced while 'minimal' alterations would make a 'negligible' physical and visual impact.

Consultation over the application, which can be viewed on the county council's website, runs until August 18 and a decision is expected by mid-September.