A MAN died of a drug overdose after he took a ‘large amount’ of cocaine, an inquest heard.

Joseph Stephen Daffern, 21, of Vine Street in Malton, North Yorkshire died on October 16, 2018 at York hospital.

At his inquest at Northallerton County Hall on Wednesday, January 30, Mr Daffern’s father, Stephen Daffern said he had discovered his son had taken cocaine when himself and his wife arrived at the family home at around 1pm.

Mr Daffern then told his son to “make yourself sick” in an attempt to minimise the effects, upon realising what he had taken.

The Inquest heard as Joseph Daffern then left the home on a push bike, before he collapsed outside a branch of Costcutters.

Joseph Daffern was seen to have a fit and passersbys tried to administer CPR. An ambulance was called and Joseph Daffern was taken to hospital, where he died later that day. Coroner Michael Oakley concluded the death was ‘accidental’ as he did not intend to kill himself.