TWO young people who tied up and tortured a man before he was stabbed have been found guilty of his murder.

Kieran Adey, 19, and 20-year-old Zoe Warren have today been convicted of killing Mark Shaw at his home in Grange Villa, near Chester-le-Street.

The pair denied murder, but were found guilty by a jury after a two week trial at Newcastle Crown Court.

Mark Shaw's sister, Haley Richardson, mother, Val Watson, father Stephen Shaw and sister Micheala Holmes outside court following the verdict. Video: GAVIN HAVERY

The court was told Mr Shaw, 29, suffered more than 80 injuries to his head, body and torso, which were inflicted over a prolonged period.

He was punched, kicked, bitten and beaten with a pool cue while his hands and feet were tied.

Mr Shaw died from a fatal stab wound in his back in the early hours of December 17 at his Pine Street home.

It a further twist it turned out he never knew that he had fathered a baby daughter weeks before his murder.

Mr Shaw was found at around 6.15pm that evening after the alarm was raised when Adey, of Queen Street, who was a supposedly a friend of Mr Shaw, boasted to people in the village about the killing.

The Northern Echo:

Police at the scene of the murder of Mark Shaw in Grange Villa

He was arrested the following day.

Warren, Mr Shaw’s girlfriend of a week or so, was arrested by police on suspicion of murder, but released with no further action.

She was re-arrested after she confessed her role in the murder to a new boyfriend around two months later and wrote a letter to him from jail implying he could be imprisoned for sex offences.

The jury also found Warren, from Chipchase, Washington, guilty of witness intimidation.

The pair, both high on drink and drugs at the time of the killing, now face life imprisonment.

Speaking afterwards Chief Superintendent Adrian Green, from Durham Constabulary, said: “I am pleased that the investigation into the death of Mark Shaw has culminated in the successful convictions of Kieran Adey and Zoe Warren.

“This was a vicious and prolonged attack and there is no doubt that Mark suffered at the hands of his killers. I hope that these convictions will offer his family some comfort that justice has been served.”