A WALKER who died after being charged by cows has been identified as 72-year-old Malcolm Flynn.

Emergency services were called shortly before 11.45am on Friday, September 11, after reports a man had been seriously injured near Thirlwall Castle and Gisland in Northumberland.

Mr Flynn, of Carlisle, was pronounced dead at the scene.

His family continue to be supported by specialist officers from Northumbria Police at this time.

A force spokesman said: “An investigation was subsequently launched we're trying to trace a number of witnesses who were believed to be in the area at the time.

“Malcolm, who is described as a white male in his 70s was wearing glasses and a sunhat, a t-shirt covered by a fleece, and a telescopic stick and was out walking with another male wearing walking boots, shorts and a fleece.

“We'd like to hear from anyone who thinks they might have information but have released the following descriptions of a number of people we would particularly like to trace.”

They are:

- A white male with grey hair and a grey beard walking a dog is believed to have walked past the man and his friend shortly before the incident near a signpost on the footpath

– A male and female, believed to be in their forties, who spoke to the pair before they entered the field

- A group of four walkers who spoke with the Malcolm’s walking companion immediately after the incident and offered to alert the farmer, as well as another male who entered the field in a bid to try and divert the animals away from the scene. It is thought he also left a fleece behind.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police by calling 101 and quoting log number 387 110920 or by visiting our website and using the Tell Us Something page.

The tragic incident happened ten days before a deputy headteacher died after being trampled by cows while out walking.

David Clark, deputy head of Richmond School, was walking in fields near the town's Hurgill Road when he was killed on Monday September 21.