A MAN said to have shown “complete and utter contempt” for court orders has been jailed again for breaching a restraining order.

Callum Hughes has served three previous sentences for offences committed against his former partner, despite being made subject of the order for the last two years.

Durham Crown Court heard that the relationship of more than three years ended when he became controlling and violent following the birth of their daughter.

Chris Baker, prosecuting, said: “Since then, she said he has done nothing but harass and terrorise her, and she has moved home three times as well as taking out non-molestation orders.

“A restraining order was issued in February 2017 forbidding him from communicating with her or attempting to enter property where she was residing.

“But, he has been arrested on a number of occasions due to violence inflicted on her and for breaching the restraining order, and he’s been to prison three times for all he has done to her.”

Mr Baker said Hughes was released from his most recent sentence in September and was wearing an electronic monitoring tag until December 24.

But, on the evening of January 7, the woman was at home with friends when she heard shouting outside, followed by the sound of the gate opening and he was seen looking through the window.

Mr Baker said Hughes then knocked on the window causing her young daughter to scream, and she had to be taken out of the room.

The woman locked the door, but he continued knocking several times, and only stopped when he realised she was on the phone.

Mr Baker said Hughes appeared to walk away, heading in the direction of Chester-le-Street, with the whole ordeal lasting about 20 minutes.

He described Hughes’ ex-partner feeling “very intimidated” by him.

When arrested, Hughes, 25, of Briardene Avenue, Pelton Fell, made no comment, but at a recent hearing admitted breaching the order.

Tony Davis, mitigating, said despite the order, Hughes was allowed to spend time with his ex-partner over Christmas, and now wants to put the offending behind him, as repeatedly going back to prison for each breach is, “not the lifestyle for him.”

Jailing him for eight months, Recorder Peter Makepeace QC told Hughes: “I just don’t think you get it, and don’t realise how serious this offending is, treating the court’s orders with complete and utter contempt.”

He added it was “a concern” and he hopes all agencies involved will be aware of the situation, on his release.