DARLINGTON ignored concerns over the uncertainty of the season by brushing aside Wealdstone 4-1 to reach the quarter-finals of the FA Trophy.

Whether it will be played at all is a valid question given the ongoing vote to decide if the season will continue, but for now Quakers can reflect on a job well done.

Alun Armstrong’s side won 4-1 and fully deserving of victory at Blackwell Meadows, where they stormed into an early 2-0 lead.

The first came after three minutes and it came after play down the right involving Luke Charman and Will Hatfield, the latter firing in a cross with the ball turned home for an own goal by debutant George Langston.

It was 2-0 after 13 minutes, this time Jarrett Rivers on target. Darlington attacked down the left with Erico Sousa and Charman combining before Rivers fired high into the net.

Dan Maguire had a header saved as Darlington headed towards half-time in control, but a lifeline was handed to Wealdstone with referee Andrew Kitchen in the spotlight.

He awarded a penalty for a so-called handball by Nicky Hunt, despite the ball appearing to hit him on the shoulder.

Moses Emmanuel’s spot-kick, almost stopped by Johnny Saltmer’s foot, made it 2-1, but thankfully for Quakers it did not signal a comeback.

Armstrong’s men began the second half strongly, creating a flurry of chances which they failed to take, which is sometimes an ominous sign.  

But just when it began to be a concern, Charman made it 3-1 with a cracking strike.

It came after 63 minutes, the former Newcastle United youngster firing home a low strike from outside the penalty area, though Wealdstone goalkeeper Harvey Isted should have done better.

There were 15 minutes of added time after an knee injury to Charman delayed the game and he was stretchered off.

And during the extra time the scoring was completed by Sousa, who charged down the left, took the ball beyond Michael Phillips and fired into the roof of the net from a tight angle.

The draw for the quarter-finals is Monday.