DARLINGTON eased into the first round of the FA Cup thanks to two goals by Luke Charman against Cambridge City.

The former Newcastle United youngster bagged a brace at Blackwell Meadows in a 2-0 win against Cambridge City.

The victory in the fourth qualifying round tie means Quakers have reached the first round for the second year in succession, last season taking League Two Walsall to a replay.

They will be in the hat on Monday evening when League One clubs including Sunderland will be among the potential opponents.

The first round tie, whoever it is against, will be played the weekend of November 7, so Darlington’s match at Brackley Town will be rearranged.

Inside the first 60 seconds Darlington tested the Cambridge goalkeeper, Charman drawing a save from Dan George, but Quakers did not have to wait long to open the scoring.

It game on nine minutes after steady build-up through midfield, Omar Holness moving the ball from right to left with possession eventually given to Charman who turned and fired home from around 20 yards.

Cambridge had fleeting moments when they threatened, winning a couple of first-half corners and fired in free-kicks that gave Quakers something to think about, but nothing to really worry Johnny Saltmer.

Most of the action came in the other half, with Quakers playing patiently and they were in command when they made it 2-0 after 23 minutes.

After Holness tried to get a foot in, the ball fell nicely to Charman and his first-time effort beat the keeper from around 18 yards.

A crucial moment just before the break ensured Darlington reached half-time 2-0 ahead, Alex Storey executing a superbly-timed tackle Jarid Robson broke into the box after a Nicky Hunt slip on the halfway line.

At 2-0, Darlington needed another goal to assure themselves of victory, the two-goal lead giving Cambridge and they remained in the contest, continuing to keep Quakers honest.

Saltmer made a solid save when pushing away a low drive by Cambridge captain Luke Knight after a free-kick, the custodian parrying the shot wide of goal, but Darlington otherwise kept their visitors at bay.

Armstrong had made full use of his substitutes in the second half, Ben Hedley, Justin Donawa and Levi Amantchi also coming on, as Quakers closed out a victory which earns them £9,375 in prize money as well as a place in the first round.

Goals: Charman (9, 1-0), Charman (24, 2-0)

Referee: Michael Barlow

Darlington: Saltmer, McMahon, Hunt, Storey, Liddle, Wheatley, Holness (Donawa), Reid, Rivers, Charma (Amantchi), Campbell (Hedley).

Subs not used: Minter (gk), Watson, Laing, Hudson

Cambridge City: George, Ofusu, Gent, Simpson, Herd, Robson, Knight (Rigby), Wood, Davis (Olukanmi), Ingrey, Sharman (Prince-Jones).

Subs not used: Barker, Shaw