Darlington’s new striker Reece Styche scored twice on his debut, but Quakers were beaten by a last-minute winner against Harrogate Town in their Buildbase FA trophy third qualifying round tie.

It looked as if Styche’s leveller on 82 minutes would lead to a Tuesday replay, but Harrogate went through courtesy of a goal from a set-piece deep into the 90th minute, as Quakers’ defending let them down.

Manager Tommy Wright said: “I think we can hold our heads high because the performance was good but we’re getting nothing for performances like that.

“I think I’d rather play badly and win. That group is trying to do the right things and play the way we want them to, but they’re forgetting what got them their success previously, by being hard to beat and by not making mistakes.

“We’re letting in bad goals and making bad decisions on the pitch at the moment, and we’re getting punished.

“I was very pleased with Reece, he did exactly what I thought he would, as he showed by his second goal.”

Quakers, with former manager Martin Gray watching from the directors’ box, started brightly enough in front of a better-than-expected crowd, and Styche had a half chance in the second minute when a corner dropped to him with his back to goal six yards out, but he couldn’t quite turn on the ball and Harrogate cleared.

Quakers were the more adventurous at this stage, and a good run by Stephen Thompson down the right ended with his low cross being held at full stretch by Harrogate keeper James Belshaw.

At the other end, Darlington defender Gary Brown did well to get back and win the ball off Frank Mulhern as the Harrogate striker ran into the box on the end of a Josh Falkingham through ball.

Quakers went forward in numbers, and Thompson set up Luke Trotman on the right edge of the area, but the full-back fired over the top, then Terry Galbraith headed a free-kick from the halfway line by Phil Turnbull into Belshaw’s hands.

Quakers had a let off on half-time when Joe Leesley counter attacked after a Phil Turnbull free-kick was cleared, and his left wing cross found George Thomson in space ten yards out, but Tom Portas got back and managed to make an excellent challenge.

Quakers went in front four minutes into the second half.

The nippy Mills was tripped as he went for a flick on inside the Harrogate box, and the referee immediately pointed to the spot. Styche confidently tucked the ball away to the cheers of the Tin Shed.

But within a few minutes, Harrogate got a penalty when keeper Ed Wilczynski brought down Jordan Thewlis, and Joe Leesley slammed home the spot kick.

Harrogate went in front on 58 minutes when substitute Barr headed in a right wing cross from Leesley, who had been found in space by Liam Agnew.

Quakers though nearly levelled when Thompson crossed to the far post where Mills’ measured volley was parried by Belshaw, and Styche’s follow up seemed to be deflected wide by the recovering keeper, although the referee gave a goal kick.

Harrogate though nearly got a third as Thewlis powered through the defence but fortunately for Quakers he fired straight at Wilczynski.

But Quakers levelled and seemed to set up a replay on 82 minutes when Styche picked the ball up on the left, charged into the area, and at full-stretch steered the ball past Belshaw into the net.

But in the last minute, a left-wing corner was swung in by George Thomson and was flicked in by Leesley at the near post.

Darlington: Wilczynski, Galbraith, Collins, Brown; Trotman, Mills (sub Gillies 80); Turnbull, Portas (Saunders 79), Syers, Thompson (Caton 81); Styche. Subs (not used): Vaulks, Bancroft,

Harrogate: Belshaw, Vann, Swain, Falkingham, Kennedy (Barr 38), Burrell, Thomson, Agnew, Mulhern (Hudson 79), Thewlis, Leesley. Subs (not used): Cracknell, Gooda, O’Hanlon

Attendance 1127