FOUR people have been taken to hospital after a propane cylinder exploded during a busy public show in North Yorkshire.

North Yorkshire Fire Service were called to the Great Yorkshire Showground at about 11.30am today, after the gas cylinder exploded, causing a burger van to catch fire.

Crews arrived to find the van well alight, but extinguished the flames, before cooling two more 19kg propane cylinders which were close to the fire.

A spokeswoman for the Yorkshire Ambulance Service said four people were treated at the scene, and another four people were taken to Harrogate District Hospital with minor injuries, believed to be scalds and burns.

An eyewitness said the people working in the fast food outlet had been injured in the blaze, along with some people waiting in the queue.

They said: "People were saying something had exploded and a fire ball came out of it.

"I heard a bang and when I looked across we saw the van was on fire. Apparently, a few people have been quite badly burned and were with paramedics. I think two people working in there were quite badly burned."

The fire service cordoned off the area, and are still at the scene.

Do you have pictures of the incident or did you see what happened? Call the newsdesk on 01325 505065 or email us at