THE death of a woman whose body was found in a river months after she went missing will remain a mystery, a coroner said yesterday.

Leanne Chambers, 30, of The Anchorage, Chester-le-Street, disappeared in February after going for a drink with her partner Steve Crossland.

Personal items were found in the town’s Riverside Park, next to the River Wear.

Her body was found at the end of June a few miles downstream at Cox Green, between Penshaw and Sunderland.

The inquest at Sunderland Civic Centre yesterday heard that Miss Chambers, who was originally from Shildon and worked at one time for The Northern Echo, but later joined car parts supplier Calsonic Kansei, in Washington, Wearside, was identified by her DNA.

Pathologist Dr Hugh Cochrane said in a statement that he was unable to ascertain a cause of death because of the condition of Miss Chambers’ body.

Detective Constable Lindsay Hill, of Chester-le-Street CID, said CCTV captured Miss Chambers and Mr Crossland going to and returning from the Wicket Gate pub early on the evening of February 23, and later Miss Chambers going alone to the Red Lion and then walking in the direction of her home.

She was reported missing the following day, sparking searches of the park and several trawls of the river.

Officers also checked her computer and mobile phone for clues.

Det Con Hill said that there were no suspicious circumstances but officers did find out that she had been researching suicide through her computer.

Miss Chambers was being treated for depression and she thought that she might have a bi-polar disorder.

“It is believed her depression was brought on by financial problems and also problems at work related to stress and bullying,’’ said Det Con Hill.

The officer said several suicide letters were found, but it was not known when they were written and that some of the contents were conflicting.

Det Con Hill said officers had been unable to establish how Miss Chambers ended up in the river.

Sunderland Coroner Derek Winter said: “She clearly died in the River Wear.

“How she came about her death will, I believe, remain a mystery.

“There is no first-hand evidence as to how she came to be in the River Wear and it would be wrong, entirely wrong, to speculate as to whether there was foul play, self-harm or it was an accident.

“There is no evidence to say any of those featured.’’ Mr Winter said because he could not reach a conclusion beyond reasonable doubt he would have to record an open verdict.