Shildon gave themselves some breathing space and in turn piled the misery on Esh Winning in the ANL Division One relegation zone when they beat their visitors 2-1 at Dean Street.

The Railwaymen, now four points above the drop zone, took the lead on ten minutes when Simon Ord cut in from the right and fired home.

Esh equalised after 39 minutes when Craig Coates controlled a through ball and lobbed Shildon keeper Adam Collington.

Former Southampton player Neale Bartlett got the winner direct from a corner.

Shildon hit the post through Wayne Gredziak in the second half.

Bedlington moved five points behind leaders Newcastle Blue Star with a 3-2 home win over Newcastle Benfield BP.

Adam Scope gave Benfield the lead with a low shot, but Anthony Shandran equalised just after half- time. Steve Young regained the lead for Benfield on the hour, but Steve Preen equalised, then Robbie Cockburn finished off a good move for the winner with seven minutes left.

Billingham Synthonia are a point behind Bedlington after beating Chester-le-Street 4-1 at Central Avenue.

They took the lead with a David Wells penalty on 28 minutes following a foul, then Colin Iley provided the pass for Lee Flanagan to make it 2-0.

Jonny Wightman set up Andy Cuthbertson to pull a goal back just before half-time, but Synners went 3-1 up when Iley pulled the ball back for Wells to fire home. Tony Wood ran through to score the fourth.

West Allotment are fourth after a 2-1 win at Whitley Bay. Mark Minto put the Bay in the lead from a Kevin Walton pass on 48 minutes, but Mark Rasmussen equalised direct from a corner after 63 minutes.

The winner came from a Michael Dixon penalty after a foul on Dean Douglas.

Tow Law dropped a place and are now four points above the drop zone after they lost 2-0 at home to Morpeth.

Morpeth keeper Barry Poskitt pulled off two good saves before the visitors took the lead on 61 minutes when Lee Bell crossed for Chris Rue to head home. Morpeth made sure with ten minutes left when Lee Ludlow raced through and scored.

Jarrow Roofing and Billingham Town drew 2-2. Paul Chow gave Roofing the lead from a David Fort cross after ten minutes, but Town levelled through David Turner from ten yards.

Chow restored Roofing's lead just on half-time from a loose ball after Craig Nelson's shot was blocked, but Town levelled with five minutes left when David Abel scored in a goalmouth scramble.

Consett maintained their 100 per cent record in the second division by 2-1 at home to Seaham Red Star. Kraig Wilkinson gave them a first half lead with a long-range shot, but Seaham equalised when Willie Crew pounced on a defensive mistake and fired home.

Seaham looked as if they would end Consett's record, until Michael Mackay headed the winner from Alan Oliver's cross with just four minutes left.

Crook Town were beaten 3-2 at Norton.

Graeme Baverstock chipped the Crook keeper to put Norton into the lead on 23 minutes, then Chris Fawcett headed in Baverstock's corner for the second after 52 minutes. Roy Allen quickly pulled one back, but Tyson Masters restored Norton's two-goal advantage after 75 minutes. Karl Everitt pulled one back from the spot with five minutes left but Crook couldn't force an equaliser.

Ryton are fourth after a 2-1 home win over North Shields. David McMahon put them in front with a low shot on 48 minutes, and they went 2-0 up when David Henderson crossed for player-manager Warren Teasdale to score. Shields pulled a goal back through David Brown.

Guisborough are still bottom after they lost 1-0 at Penrith, Wayne Robertson scoring after 66 minutes. They are now seven points behind Peterlee, who beat South Shields 3-1. Carl Winspear, Johnny Dowden and James Lavin scored for Peterlee, with Ryan McNaught replying for Shields.

Third bottom Alnwick also picked up three points against Marske, thanks to a 53rd minute James Swordy penalty.