BLAYDON might soon be working out the mileage to Division Two clubs like Redruth and Launceston as they are only one point behind leaders Nuneaton after Saturday's 45-7 win at home to Kendal.

Former Newcastle Falcons centre Martin Shaw, who joined from Mowden Park in the summer, was named man-of-the-match after also receiving the National Three North Player of the Month award for October.

Tynedale were Team of the Month after four successive wins and Saturday's 27-14 home win against Hull Ionians saw them climb into fourth place, one point ahead of Darlington, who they visit this week.

Fellow centre Sua Segi was the equal of Shaw on Saturday, as much for his tackling as for scoring two tries and having a big hand in two others.

Blaydon took a late decision to add No 8 Ed Thorp to the list of players rested against the bottom side, who stuck at it in the forwards but showed nothing behind until their South African fly half went on for the second half.

A sensational effort by hooker Matt Hall put Blaydon ahead after Kendal dropped the ball on the home 22. He picked up and shrugged off two tackles, while two others gave up the chase as he ran 75 metres to score in the corner.

The Windle and Segi siblings then came to the fore. Richard Windle added an excellent conversion then flanker Pat Segi sent his brother over before winger Rob Windle was twice involved in a move which he finished off.

Sua Segi sent Shaw over before Blaydon relaxed after half-time and Kendal got on top for 20 minutes without threatening to score. When Blaydon reasserted themselves Sua Segi set up a try for winger James Kyle then scored himself.

Full back Michael Campbell took a pass on the back of his head before racing away to complete a 70-metre move for the final try, Kendal replying with a late consolation.

Darlington produced their best performance since early season but lost another tight game 23-22 away to third-placed Preston Grasshoppers.

After drawing at Leicester Lions last week, Darlington's excellent second half display saw them fight back after trailing 13-0 following a slow start.

They led 17-13 before Grasshoppers scored a converted try and a penalty then Darlington cut the gap to one through winger Frankie Coulson's second try ten minutes from time.

David Glendenning was very strong on his return at full back, but felt his knee was not up to place kicking, so Craig Lee continued, converting the first try from under the posts but missing the others from wide out.

After his hat-tricks in the previous two matches No 8 Alan Brown, National Three North's leading try scorer, again touched down from close range to take his total to 11.

Flanker Martin Howe finished off good inter-passing for the first as Darlington won the try-count 4-3 to earn a second bonus point to go with the one for the narrow defeat.

The power of Westoe's pack surprised Middlesbrough in a 30-6 defeat at South Shields, which left Boro third from the bottom in North One.

But after being outplayed for the first 20 minutes, Boro were quite happy to trail only 10-0 at the interval after playing uphill.

They quickly conceded another penalty, but when Simon Moore kicked two the gap was down to 13-6 and victory looked possible.

Boro threw everything at it without further success and finally lost heart as Westoe kicked another penalty and scored two converted tries in the last ten minutes.

Fly half and goal-kicker Dave Haswell had an excellent game for Westoe, while his brother Graeme was among the try-scorers, along with winger Craig Stevenson and flanker James Rennie.

Boro had Greg Jacobs making his debut at No 8 after Dean Gardner and Dave Richardson were late withdrawals.

Durham City remain second in North Two East after a 15-15 draw at Driffield, who had more of the ball but needed a converted try at the death to draw level.

In fact, the hosts scored with the last move of each half after trailing 15-3 and the equalising conversion was a good kick from threequarters of the way out.

Defences dominated after an early exchange of penalties. City went ahead when they worked the short side from a scrum 30 metres out and several players handled before scrum half Ben Stevenson scored.

The lead became a little flattering in the 34th minute, when a good Driffield attack broke down on the City 22 and full back Ralph Smith began a counter-attack. He linked with Jeff Roberts in a move which ended with the other flanker, Howard Johnson, appearing on the wing and running round behind the posts for James Walker to convert.

City were told a scrum would be the last play of the first half, but the referee re-set it twice before Driffield burrowed over.

The only score of the second half came in the third minute of added time, when a winger forced his way over after several phases.

Penrith are one point ahead of City after a 45-0 home win which dumped Stockton on the bottom. It was a tale of one side finishing clinically while the other didn't, with four of Penrith's tries being scored from their own half.

The defensive frailties of Stockton's young backs were exposed as a 19-0 half-time deficit became 31-0 before flanker Wayne Brown's frustration got the better of him, resulting in another yellow card.

With five minutes left Penrith's ball-carrier knocked the referee over but as Stockton waited for the whistle play was allowed to continue for another try and at the death Penrith mauled over for their seventh.

Hartlepool Rovers' hopes of climbing into the promotion frame were dented by a 27-5 defeat at home to third-placed Beverley, who were comfortably the better side.

Flanker Steve Wallis scored a fine individual try to cut the half-time deficit of 10-0, but Gareth Foreman missed the conversion and two penalties as Beverley pulled away.

Former leaders Morpeth lost 37-19 away to improving West Hartlepool.