Darlington manager Gary Bennett has demanded a repeat performance from his players at leaders Chesterfield today.

Quakers picked up only their second win in the last ten League matches by beating Lincoln City 3-0 at Feethams on Saturday, but the visitors, who finished the game with ten men, were let off lightly.

Bennett made five changes from the team which lost at Luton in the FA Cup, and he was rewarded with several excellent performances, particularly from teenager Mark Kilty at the back, plus debut strikers John Williams and David McMahon.

The victory also lifted the spirits in the camp ahead of their toughest game of the season at Saltergate.

"If we go about the Chesterfield game like we did against Lincoln, then we can get a result," said Bennett.

"But we mustn't get carried away. The players must have the same passion and commitment.

"I looked for a response from the players after the defeat at Luton, and they gave me one.

"The performance at Luton was a blip, but overall our performances this season have been good, the only problem is that we haven't been scoring. We scored three goals on Saturday, but it could easily have been five or six."

It was the first time this season that Quakers have scored three times in a league game, with all the scorers - David McMahon, Paul Heckingbottom and Brian Atkinson - netting their first League goals of the season, but it was the power of John Williams and the maturity of youngster Kilty in defence which were the main features of the game.

Ironically, Kilty, who only discovered he was playing an hour before kick off, might lose his place to Neil Aspin on his return from suspension today.

"I thought Mark was magnificent," said Bennett. "I've always said he's a good player. People have said that he's a bit on the small side, but one thing's for sure, if the ball's there to be won, then he'll win it.

"With John playing alongside David McMahon, we caused Lincoln a lot of problems in the air and on the ground, and hopefully they'll do the same again at Chesterfield."

Bennett held training yesterday morning, and he will be looking closely at an ankle injury to Jesper Hjorth before he decides on his team to meet the promotion favourites.

Darlington's own Flying Postman is hoping to deliver some more Christmas presents this afternoon.

New signing John Williams was an instant hit with a powerful and pacy display in attack, which may not have brought him any goals but won him the admiration of the Feethams crowd.

"Considering that I haven't played for so long, I'm very happy with the way I played," he said.

"The last time I played in the League was for York three months ago against Brighton. When I get fit, hopefully I'll be sharper and faster.

"The reception I got when I went off was very nice - fans in the North-East warm to you if you're trying.

"Because I haven't played much this season, I'm hungry to play. I'm here until the end of the season, and if I do well, there's a chance of another contract."

Ironically, Williams revealed that he wanted to be substituted before he won the penalty which led to Quakers' third goal.

"My big toe was badly bruised and bleeding," he said, "and I wanted to go off because it was very painful.

"I managed to chase the ball into their box and was about to pull the trigger when their defender cleaned me out. It was a blatant foul, no doubt about it."

Midfielder Martin Gray played under the effects of flu, which was why he was taken off near the end.

"I thought we played very well," he said. "There was more passion, and we battled throughout.

"It was important to get back to winning ways.

"John Williams gave us another option. With his pace he turns a bad ball into a half decent ball. I also thought Mark Kilty was outstanding, considering it was his first game."

Quakers took the lead after seven minutes, when Martin Gray picked out David McMahon with a cross from the right, and the striker headed past Chris Day into the corner of the net for his first League goal.

There was a touch of good fortune about Darlington's second. The Lincoln defence appeared to step up en masse when Jesper Hjorth swung over a free kick from the left, but despite five white shirts looking offside, the linesman's flag stayed down and Paul Heckingbottom chested the ball down and rolled it home for his first goal since April.

Williams provided a teasing cross for Glenn Naylor to go agonisingly close with an overhead kick, and Williams, forever a menace with his pace, lobbed wide despite the attentions of two defenders.

Lincoln rallied briefly at the start of the second half, but the game was over after 57 minutes. A long ball from Craig Liddle found Williams racing clear, and just as he was about to shoot, he was brought down by defender James Dudgeon, who was shown his second yellow for his sin. Atkinson coolly slotted the ball home from the spot for his first goal in the league for two years.