Hinderwell maintained their challenge for the championship of division one with an eight wickets victory at Skelton Castle who were all out in 30.2 overs for 79 runs which included a top scoring 19 by Karl Pigg who recorded four boundaries.

Paul Theaker was in splendid form with the ball for Hinderwell and in 10.2 overs he claimed five wickets for only 15 runs. He was ably assisted by Mark Swain whose 15 overs, seven of which were maidens, yielded figures of three for 27. Responding Hinderwell made the necessary 80 runs losing two wickets in 13 overs. Opening batsman Andrew Spensley carried his bat for 29 hitting one six and five boundaries.

Jack Hatfields dismissed The Merlin for only 82 runs to win by a 51-run margin. Hadfield picked up five wickets for 24 runs and Dawson took three for ten for Jack Hatfields, who batting first realised 133 all out. Most of the visitors' runs came from Hadfield with 44 and Mustafa (32) while for The Merlin Moss and Cauldwell both returned five for 51.

Dormans had 70 runs to spare visiting Normanby Parklands. Batting first Dormans posted 126 which included 39 by Patton and 24 from Insall, while for Parklands Frewin returned six for 24. Both Walker and Watcham took two wickets each.

In reply Normanby Parklands were all out for 57 as Dale was another bowler in superb form taking six for 18. Hussain returned two for ten and Ramzan one for 13.

Norton held on for a draw when they visited Paragonians. Faced with a target of 153 they were 112 for nine at stumps and they were indebted to useful contributions of 20 by D Brookes and an undefeated 23 from Chapman, who went in last. Hughes with five wickets for 29 runs and Burton two for 20 were the bowlers who almost claimed victory for Paragonians. Batting first Paragonians reached 152 for nine before declaring.

Opener Melrose made 55 and Rhoden 38 and in the Norton attack no bowler did better than D Brookes with four for 33.

Loftus had seven wickets in hand defeating visitors Boosbeck who were restricted to 146 for eight. In reply Loftus were pleased at opening batsman Pearson ended undefeated on 69 and for Boosbeck Lorrains was the most successful bowler with two wickets for 62 runs.

When they batted first Boosbeck were indebted to opener Booth for his contribution of 36 and later Ward made a useful 20 before being run out. Smithies claimed three for 33 and Sanderson two for 25 for Loftus.

Ormesby Hall managed only 60 all out as Allen captured six wickets for 27 runs to help earn Staithes a 56 runs success.

Batting first Staithes realised 116 with opener Horn making 43 and for Ormesby Hall Pooley had three wickets for 15 runs and Davies three for 27.

In division two Blacksmiths Arms were dismissed in 29 overs for 85 runs when they visited Dormanstown for whom Charlie Hatch returned eight for 26 in 14 overs including three maidens. The other two wickets were claimed by Jack Mitchell at a cost of 52 runs in 14 overs.

Responding Dormanstown reached the modest target in 21 overs losing two wickets as Stephen Johnson carried his bat for 31 which included five boundaries. His opening partner Phil Lloyd contributed 38 with one boundary.

Cowpen Bewley held on for a draw with their last pair at the wicket in their home game with Loftus. Needing to score 173 runs Cowpen Bewley were 101 for nine and their saviour was Humphrey who batted throughout the innings for an undefeated 73. Morrison was in good form with the ball for Loftus claiming four wickets for 21 and Verrill picked up three wickets at a cost of five runs.

When they went into bat first Loftus ended with 172 for nine and most of the runs came from Pearson with 44, Bowman 31 and Codling (25) while for Cowpen Bewley Carr returned six for 57.

Brotton defeated Ormesby Hall despite being dismissed for 80 as Peacock took five for 23 and Roberts four for 39.

The Ormesby Hall batsmen faired worse and were back in the pavilion with 54 runs on the board as Yeoman captured seven wickets for 26 runs.

Normanby Parklands also struggled for runs in their match at Skelton Castle where they were dismissed for 97.

Stubbs took five of the wickets and McCabe four before Irwin led Skelton Castle to a three wickets victory when he scored 37 of his team's 102 for seven. Fox captured four of the seven wickets to fall for 28 runs.

Although they made the useful total of 165 for nine which included 38 by Hooker and 30 from Frankland, Moorsholm lost by three wickets in their home fixture with New Marske. Hailstone claimed four wickets for 35 runs for New Marske who had batsmen Alderson (41) and Hodgson (26no) both in form.

Langbaurgh League

Stafford Place had four wickets in hand when they visited Hutton Rudby who were all out for 104. Martin Pugh struck five boundaries in 31 and John Wood had a similar number of fours as he contributed 32.

The batsmen, however, found the bowling of Steve Livingstone, in particular, difficult to cope with. Introduced as second change into the Stafford Place attack he claimed five wickets for 16 runs and Connor returned three for 28.

Replying Stafford Place were indebted to opener Simpson who hit eight boundaries out of 34 runs. Later Atkinson carried his bat for 24 and O'Donoghue added 24 valuable runs. Mattie Cook was in good form with the ball for Hutton Rudby taking four of the six wickets to fall for 41 runs.

Despite posting the healthy total of 143 Broughton and Kirby lost by seven wickets to Kildale. Peter Proud carried his bat for 59 with 11 boundaries and Steve Corcoran had a couple of sixes and four fours scoring 44 as Kildale reached the target losing just three wickets in 29 overs.

When Broughton and Kirby batted first their innings lasted 34 overs and featured a contribution of 35 not out by Harry Newbold who went in at number ten, he struck three sixes and two boundaries. Michael Thompson sent down ten overs in the Kildale attack claiming four wickets for 37 runs and Dave Doughty had three for 25 in his five overs spell.

Ingleby Greenhow lost by 57 runs when they visited Crathorne. Mooney (52), Samarage (44) and Kinsella with 39 propelled Crathorne to a run just short of 200 for the loss of five wickets.

Replying M Fawcett, who took three wickets in the visitors' attack, opened the reply and top scored with 46. Staples contributed 30 but the innings only managed 142 for eight as Samarage claimed three wickets for 20 runs and both Bruce and Laing took two wickets each.

Chopgate defeated Scruton by nine wickets when opener Holmes carried his bat for 57 and Haltby finished unbeaten with 36 out of a total of 118 for one.

When Scruton made first use of the wicket they were restricted to 117 for nine which included 40 by opening batsman Peacock. Tait returned four for 21 and Cook two for 35 in the Chopgate attack.

After reducing East Harlsey to 122 all out Maltby won losing four wickets. M Barbour opened the reply scoring 48 and both Close and C Barbour both scored 25 in a total of 123 for four. Batting first East Harlsey were best served by Arrowsmith with 24 and Mason 21 as Hutchinson captured five wickets for 46 runs and Close took two for 38.

Roseberry Group North East Durham League

East Rainton romped to a ten wickets victory at home to Coxhoe when they needed 14.4 overs to overtake the visitors' total of 106. Colin Henderson struck ten boundaries in an unbeaten 50 and Neil Matthews carried his bat for 48 striking a six and seven fours.

Batting first Coxhoe were all out in 44.1 overs as Roy Richardson captured five wickets for 20 runs in 15.1 overs, nine of which were maidens.

Duncan Forrest was in magnificent form for Belford House against Hospitals. He took nine wickets for a meager 17 runs in 13.4 overs including seven maidens and would have claimed all ten wickets but for a dropped catch at the end.

Hospitals were all out in 27 overs for 44 runs and although they have conceded four wickets reaching their low target in 16 overs, Belford House were never in danger. Gary Shaw, who in the corresponding fixture last year, took all ten wickets for Belford House, finished with three for 19 from 7.4 overs.

Coundon went down by four wickets when they visited Benwell Hill. When they made first use of the wicket the visitors posted 137 for eight which included an unbeaten 56 by Hutchinson, while for Benwell Hill, Wright captured seven wickets for only 37 runs.

Replying Benwell Hill lost early wickets but till Wright (32) and Haygarth (35no) came together and following the dismissal of Wright, Haygarth found another able partner in Pearson (25no). Murray took four of the six wickets to fall for 16 runs and Askew had figures of two for 42 in the Coundon attack.

Littletown made a big total of 217 for four which was just as well as Medomsley replied with 202 all out. Nelson was just five runs short of a century when he was dismissed, Davies added 31 and Woollett 35 to the Littletown total of 217 for the loss of four wickets, three of which were taken by Dixon for 59 runs.

When they replied Medomsley were given the perfect send off by Walls who contributed 44 before being run out and Milburn (69) but eventually the innings closed on 202 all out as Ricketts had five for 58 and Woollett three for 37.

Newton Aycliffe lost further ground in their challenge for the championship when they went down by six runs to Wearmouth. Required to score 220 Newton Aycliffe managed 213 for eight from their 45 overs. Wheeler (34) and Williams (49) top performed with the bat and for Wearmouth Dhillon took three for 90 and Murphy four for 91.

When Wearmouth batted first they finished with 219 for eight of which Dench scored a fine 107 and Peter Stronach 32. Sanderson also hit a useful 29 and Newton Aycliffe used no fewer than eight bowlers in their attack with the most successful being Roberts and Williams who each claimed two wickets.

Washington had 36 runs to spare entertaining Plawsworth. Thompson led Washington to 197 for four, a total which included 29 by Rayner, 23 from Carr and 22 by John Tither.

When they responded Plawsworth lost their openers for a combined total of just five runs before Nicholson (39) and Mike Fletcher (37) raised their hopes. Later Karl Pring added 30 batting at number nine before the innings ended on 161 as Tither returned five for 33 and Plender three for 35.

In division two Whiteleas defeated Simonside by 18 runs. Required to score 117 Simonside were all out for 98 which included 32 by Norman Wold. Chima Baljit claimed five wickets for 35 runs in 14.3 overs and Lee Baxter took three for 16 in his seven overs spell.

Batting first Whiteleas realised 116 as Paul Thompson took six for 36 in 16.5 overs and Paul Haines four for 75 in his 17 overs.

Burnhope totalled 123 all out in 40.3 overs when they met East Rainton. Stephen Laws hit five boundaries in 32 and for the visitors David Reay had six for 52 in 20 overs and Kevin Hall four for 14 in 5.3 overs.

Responding East Rainton hurried to victory in 23.3 overs as Duncan Bell hit three sixes and 11 fours in 85 before being run out.

Belmont finished with 132 before losing by one wicket to Tantobie. Brooks scored almost half the Belmont runs contributing 60 and for the home side Petre claimed six for 53 and Brown three for 42.

In response Tantobie were in with a chance as Oliver struck 30 and Whiteford carried his bat for 23 but when Peacock captured four for 36 and Welsh three for 26, Tantobie just edged home by one wicket.

Pratt (59no) and Bowrie (44no) led Kelloe to a seven wickets victory at Bearpark who raised 133 all out when they made first use of the wicket.

Fitchett was their top scorer with 32 and Dell added 26 while in the Kelloe attack Hughes returned six for 34 and both Pratt and Bowrie claimed two wickets each.

North Bitchburn visited Hunwick and lost by 16 runs. Dunn opened the innings and scored 34, but North Bitchburn were all out for 106 with Nevison taking three for ten, Johnson three for 40 and Morris three for 42.

In the Hunwick innings Breen was in splendid form when he opened the innings and his contribution of 55 led Hunwick to 122 all out even though Allott claimed six wickets for 33 and Lee four for 34.

William Orton Under-18 Cup

Murton reached the final but it was a close call before they defeated Bill Quay by a single run.

It looked odds on a Bill Quay victory when they were 70 for the loss of three wickets needing just another nine runs, but an amazing collapse occurred and the inning closed at 77 as the Quay lost their last three wickets without adding a run when just two were required for victory.

James Hudson scored more than half the Bill Quay total contributing 40, while for Murton their match winners with the ball were Andrew Naylor who in four overs took four wickets for just five runs and James Watson, who returned three for six from 3.3 overs.

When Murton batted first they ended on 78 which included 28 by Chris Milne. Kevin South struck form with the ball for Bill Quay taking three for 14 in four overs and Taylor had identical figures in his 3.4 overs spell.

Bob Hay Under-18 Cup

Esh Winning progressed in the Bob Hay Cup defeating Bishop Auckland by five wickets. Their opponents totalled 108 for seven of which Andrew Tait scored 20, Smart 26 not out and Kurgoose 36. Davidson bowled a good end for Esh Winning claimed two wickets for 18 runs and Eddie Watson was again in form returning four for 25.

When Esh Winning replied Davidson finished with 36 not out and Hopper added 26 to a match winning total of 110 for five. Kurgoose, with two for 27 and Lee (2-26) were both in good form with the ball for Bishop Auckland, but could not secure victory for their side.