Durham County Trophy Semi-Finals

One of two clubs in the league will lift the Trophy this season, following the success of Hartlepool Town last season, then playing as Hartlepool Boys Welfare.

In the first game Sporting Club Sunderland roared into the final with an emphatic and wholly deserved 3-1 win over Teeside Arriva. The result was ample revenge for a 2-1 defeat handed out by Arriva just a week ago in the Washington Aged Peoples Trophy.

Barry Cook opened the scoring for Sporting in the 20th minute with a wonderful chip via his left foot that left the Arriva keeper completely stranded. Sporting went on to dominate proceedings and were fully rewarded with a second goal. Gareth Greener on the half hour, cleverly slipping in between two defenders to calmly slot the ball past the stranded keeper. Right on half-time Arriva managed to pull one back, a well worked goal by Lee Haggan who fired home the strike to give the visitors hope for the second half. But for a 10 minute spell, Sporting went on to dictate the second half. Teesside Arriva had no answer to Sporting Club whose all round play was on a different level. The icing on the cake was provided by Gavin Wilson who started and then finished a well worked move by driving the ball past a despairing Teesside rearguard with just ten minutes to go.

In the second match Brandon Station played away to Coxhoe Athletic winning 4-3 in a thrilling game. Paul Webster had Brandon ahead in the first minute. They went 2-0 up after 15 minutes, Stephen Graham scrambling the ball in from close range. David Hutchinson pulled a goal back for Coxhoe in 35 minutes the Dean Smithson had them level in the 55th. John Bell put Brandon ahead again before John Parnaby made it 3-3 after 90 minutes. Two minutes into extra time Paul Webster made it 4-3 to Brandon with the golden goal.


Cockfield had a 4-0 home win over Durham Victoria Bridge. Darren Fletcher had them ahead with simple tap-in after 15 minutes. Anthony White hit the second with another tap in after 55 minutes. Ten minutes later Andrew Singlewood hit a screamer with a half volley from 25 yards. In the 80th the minute number four came from an own goal after a Paul Dunn Corner.

Hartlepool Town won 5-2 at Shildon Railway. Chris Birkbeck hit a hat-trick for Hartlepool with Paul Doughty getting a couple. Neil Robinson and Darren Forster replied for Shildon.

Second Bottom Simonside SC beat bottom side Ebchester FC 6-2 at home. They were 3-1 in front in the first half, Gavin Burns, Kevin Thirgood and Raymond Simpson getting the goals with Chris Parkin scoring Ebchester's. Raymond Simpson, Michael Ord and Darren Bain netted after the break and Mark Turner getting Ebchester's second reply.

Whitehill FC went three points clear at the top of the league with a 3-1 win away to second placed Belford House. John Embleton (2) and Gary Robson scoring for Whitehill, Mark Green replied for Belford.

Darlington Charity Cup

Black and Decker cruised into the next round of the Darlington Charity Cup with a 3-0 win against Middleton St George. They were in front after six minutes when Alan Robson received the ball with his back to goal and in one move turned to crack the ball in from just inside the penalty area. Peter Croft put them 2-0 up after 30 minutes with a tap in from ten yards. David Upton hit the third after 65 minutes, heading home at the back post from a corner.