A death smash driver who killed a six-year-old girl and left her sister battling for life was jailed for 11-and-a-half years today.

Ian Carr, 27, killed six-year-old Rebecca Sawyer and left her 18-month old sister Kirsty fighting for life when he smashed a stolen Vauxhall Astra into their family car.

Rebecca's tragic death on New Year's Eve was the second caused by Carr, 27 - who already has 89 previous convictions recorded against his name.

Sentencing him at Newcastle Crown Court yesterday Judge David Hodson said: "Nothing I can say can begin to adequately describe the revulsion that the community feels at what you have done. Everyone is understandably appalled at your actions."

Carr received nine-and-a-half years for the death smash, which will be served after 688 days outstanding from a previous sentence.

But Rebecca's devastated dad Steven said last night that Carr should have got life.

He is now campaigning for a change in the law.

"Nothing but a life sentence will stop Ian Carr from going behind the wheel of a car in future and no doubt he will.

"Carr will do it again, there is not doubt of that he should be locked up for good. He should have got a life sentence, a life for a life.

"When I saw him in the dock I felt nothing but hatred for him.

"I just hope he can be stopped from doing it again somehow, I don't know how. But if it means a change in the law then that is what must happen."

Mr Sawyer, a postman, received terrible facial injuries when his car was hit by a stolen Vauxhall Astra driven by Carr.

The court heard how the Vauxhall, which had been stolen in Durham, had jumped a red light.

Police estimated that it hit Mr Sawyer's Citroen Saxo at more than 40mph.

Little Kirsty was catapulted through the back windscreen her sister Rebecca was killed instantly.

Just minutes before the smash, Carr had narrowly missed a pedestrian who was out with her boyfriend.

Carr, who has never held a driving licence, had pleaded guilty to causing Rebecca's death by dangerous driving.

He also admitted aggravated vehicle taking, driving whilst disqualified, driving with no insurance, leaving the scene of an accident and failing to report an accident.

In a letter submitted to the judge before sentencing Carr expressed "real contrition" for what he had done.

Paul Caulfield, mitigating, said: "He is struggling for words to describe how he feels but he displays considerable remorse."

Carr had been released from a six year sentence for burglary just a few months before causing the smash and already has numerous driving bans against him.

In 1990 he was at the wheel of a stolen Metro which spun out of control and killed his best friend - just a few miles from the spot where Rebecca was killed in Ashington, Northumberland.

His close pal Mark Wren, 16, who was riding with him in the car, was found propped up against a fence.

Carr had rifled his pockets and run away to a friend's house to concoct a false alibi.

Carr received a 12-month sentence in a young offenders' institution after being convicted of causing death by reckless driving.

The accident which killed Rebecca happened when the car was heading back to Ashington, Northumberland, where the group were planning to meet some more friends.

The Sawyers left court to go to Kirsty's bedside at Newcastle General Hospital.

The youngster is making some good progress and it is thought she has not suffered any lasting brain damage despite massive head injuries.

Chief Superintendent Bob Pattison, Northumbria Police's head of Operational Support, said: " This was a horrendous crash which devastated a family."