Crook League

Crook Belle Vue maintained their third place in the First Division but were taken to the deciding doubles by the visiting Crook Travellers Rest A. However the odd point win failed to shake the big lead of the top two for Crook Olde Horse Shoe lead the table by 14 points with Crook Travellers Rest B in second place seven points ahead of Crook Belle Vue.

Belle Vue Club had singles wins from Pip Samson, Jeff Sneath and Ian Hodkinson whilst Terry Davis, Gavin Hudspeth and Scott Weston levelled. In the deciding doubles the Belle Vue pair of Doug McCartrhy and Jeff Sneath beat Alan Thompson and Stephen Todd.

Willington Market were able to open out an 11 point gap at the top of the Second Division when the second placed Crook Jelly's Bar A went down by three points at Howden Australian. This result allowed the Aussie to move up to just two points behind Jelly's A.

Crook Jelly's A had singles wins from Michael Jewitt and Keith Dixon whilst the Aussie had singles wins from Ian Williams, Stephen Burke, Peter Johnson and Michael Lee to add to the doubles from Ray Newton and Stephen Burke.

l The next league meeting will be held in Crook Golden Fleece on Tuesday, 4 February at 7.30 p.m. when all teams must be represented.

Results: Crook White Swan 1 Crook Mill House 6; Crook Royal Sun 2 Crook Olde Horse Shoe 5; Crook Belle Vue 4 Crook Travellers Rest A 3; Crook Spitfire 3 Crook Coach and Horses A 4; Crook Travellers Rest B 5 Crook Queen's Head A 2; Crook Queen's Head B 1 Crook Golden Fleece A 6; Crook Coach and Horses B 1 Willington Market 6; Crook Jelly's Bar B 5 Crook King's Head 2; Howden Australian 5 Crook Jelly's Bar A 2. Crook Golden Fleece B v Crook Surtees no result.

Worthington CIU Winter Pairs Championship

Third round results: Terry Ellison & Dave Blyth (Wheatley Hill B) lost to George Chapman & Andrew Aisbitt (Cockton Hill); Bernie Jones & Mark Wilson (Ferryhill) beat Michael Short & Chris Morley (Belmont); Bob Reay & Ronnie Peacock (Wheatley Hill A) beat Wayne Oliver & Charlie Hirst (Fishburn A); Paul Nord & Stephen Coates (Langley Park) lost to John Griffin & John Carter (Fishburn A); Arthur Goldsborough & Jeremy Martin (Willington) beat Des Mason & Phil Blythe (Hunwick A); John Bower & Alan Greener (Sherburn Village) lost to Ian Renwick & Willis Joynes (Witton Gilbert); Brian Graham & John Hall (Brandon) lost to Sonny Hann & Keith McLauchlan (Crowtrees A); Ian Dinsdale & John Maddox (Newhouse) lost to Ronnie Bateman & Paul Biddle (Spennymoor A).

Monday Night League

Railway Athletic 3, Darlington C 1; Hopetown 3, JUC B 1; Railway Institute 4, Darlington B 0; JUC A v Northgate no result given, deduct two points JUC A if result not given by February 1.

League positions: 1 Railway Inst 48 points; 2 Darlington Snooker A 46; 3 Hopetown 44; 4 Railway Athletic 43; Darlington Cricket Club 43; 6 Darlington Snooker B 28.

* Carl Williams 52 break against DCC; D Hunter 67 break against Railway Institute.

Cleveland League

Sponsored by Coors Brewers

At the half way stage of the season, the Redcar WMC lead Division One with 66 points followed in second place by Redcar Lakes A with 55. The result of the week, however, was a 4-2 home win for Guisborough Cons. who were playing hosts to third-placed Saltburn Cons. A. Colin Buckton lost his first game against Saltburn's Paul Baggott 73-49 but rallied in the second game to beat Baggot 59-10. Arthur Smith also shared the spoils with Mark Cardaropoli with scores of 49-30 and 49-62. With the match now level at two frames each, Mike King made it 3-2 in favour of Guisborough when beating Steve Binns 58-40. Their last frame was a very tight scrap with King eventually winning on the final black 61-56. New Marske A chalked up an excellent 5-1 home win against Marske WMC A. Carlin How A also WON 5-1 against Redcar Cons. B.

Bass Shield

Senior Knockout Final

The final of the Bass Shield was held at the Grinkle Park Hotel on Monday, January 20 between Arthur Smith (+10) of Guisborough Cons. and Ian Walton (+5) of Marske WMC. The match referee for this contest was Brian Magor. In the first game Smith forged ahead with the aid of a 16 break to lead 25-16, that was until Walton replied with a 14 break. Walton led going into the colours by 44-34 until Smith potted the yellow, green, brown and blue balls to lead 48-44. Walton then missed a crucial pink whereas Smith, when given the opportunity, did not. Smith therefore won the first game with a score of 54-44. The second game was a scrappy affair with both players struggling to find any real form and when the frame was finally down to the colours the pink ball came back to haunt Walton when he again missed a crucial pot for game. Smith once again did pot the pink and won this frame by 51-41.

The third game ended up as a long drawn out battle with Walton coming out on top to win by 42-25. Walton now in his stride took charge of the fourth game and was leading 25-7 until Smith compiled an excellent 22 break. With only the colours remaining Smith now well in control potted the brown which now meant that Walton needed snookers.

Smith then went on to pot the blue shortly after which Ian Walton conceded the frame and match. Smith is therefore crowned this years winner of the Bass Shield beating Walton 3-1.