TRADING standards officers are planning to visit the house where a little girl was critically injured when a marble fireplace fell on her.

The three-year-old suffered serious head and chest injuries after being crushed by the fire surround that had been glued to the wall rather than fitted with brackets, at her Darlington home.

Following weeks of treatment at Newcastle Royal Victoria Infirmary, the girl, who has not been named, was allowed to return home this week.

The fireplace, which was supplied and fitted by The Reproduction Centre, in Darlington, is being examined by Darlington Borough Council trading standards officers.

The officers are trying to determine whether the fireplace company was at fault, although a police investigation into the incident has now been ruled out.

After the accident, a warning was issued to home owners around the North-East to check how their fireplaces had been installed.

It was thought about 700 fire surrounds had been installed by The Reproduction Centre, but the warning was widened to include any mantelpiece fitted with glue, rather than brackets.

Yesterday, a council spokesman said: "We have had a number of calls from people concerned about the way their fireplaces have been fitted. We would ask anyone who is unsure about the safety of their fireplace to call the manufacturer or a reputable builder who can check it is okay."