North Riding Challenge Cup Semi-Final

Thornaby Mandale 3 Ennis Square 2

Thornaby Mandale booked a place in the North Riding Challenge Cup Final when they overcame fellow Stokesley League side Ennis Square with the decisive goals coming late in the game.

After a tight opening twenty minutes, Mandale broke the deadlock when Bradley Murray crossed for Andrew Dyson to scramble the ball home from eight yards out.Before the break however, Ennis had got back on level terms when Wayne Gent headed home unmarked at the far post following a corner.

The contest continued to be a close fought affair throughout much of the second half but two goals in the space of five minutes ultimately brought Mandale success.

Fifteen minutes from time, centre half Stephen Baker carried the ball from his own half and unleashed an unstoppable shot from twenty five yards out and minutes later, Dyson gave his side a two goal cushion stabbing the ball home from close range following a free kick.

A mix up in the Mandale goal allowed Jamie Smailes to score from close with just a minute remaining to give the Thornaby side a few injury time jitters but they held firm and will now meet the winners of the other semi-final between Richmond Mavericks and Grangetown YCC.

Cliff Wells Trophy Semi-Final

Thornaby Village 4 Stokesley 2

The Village made it through to the final of the Cliff Wells Trophy but they were made to fight all the way by a determined Stokesley side.

The only goal of a tight first half came on the half hour when Paul Jenkinson headed home to give the Thornaby side the lead.

Stokesley hit back early in the second half when Mike Angus pounced on a defensive mix up to equalise and minutes later, Angus was on hand again to put Stokesley in front. The tie was eventually settled with a devastating spell of three goals in the space of seven minutes. Darren Robinson equalised from the edge of the area with ten minutes to go but the finishing touch was provided by Geoff Belt who found the back of the net twice in as many minutes to see his side through to the final where they will meet the Woodman's Arms.


South Bank Utd 14 Black Horse 4

Mannion Park was the place for goals with United and the Black Horse sharing 18 goals between them. Sadly for the visitors, the majority ended up in their net but yet again, they gave a good account of themselves and at one point in the second half, only trailed 6-3.

United got off to flier with Graham Cairns scoring in the first minute. The Black Horse equalised almost immediately but then two goals in quick succession from Mark Renton and John Webster gave the home side the upper hand.

By half time time goals from Tony Leach, Gary Naylor and a second from Renton had added to the Black Horses' problems but they gained some consolation with two goals themselves either side of the break.

Renton completed his hat trick to make the score 7-3 only for the visitors to strike back for a fourth time.Peter Truscott really turned on the style with twenty minutes remaining when in the space of eight minutes, he found the back of the net on no less than four occasions - the hat trick coming in five.

Late goals from Mark Jahan and Dave Larkin rounded off the scoring for United.

B & H King's Head 5 Stockton Elementis 0

With Thornaby Mandale otherwise occupied, the sides nearest to them kept up the pressure with the King's Head moving level on points and the College going top all be it having played a number of games more.

Elementis opened well but four goals in the latter stages of the first half effectively ended the game as a contest. Paul Round opened his account on twenty minutes heading home from ten yards out and two goals from Brian Crawley, both beating the offside trap, had the King's Head well on top.

Lee Johnson rounded off the rush of goal rush, cutting in from the right before firing home.

Stockton Elementis, to their credit, came out strongly in the second half and although they could not get a goal themselves, restricted the King's Head to just a single goal in the second half when Steve Smith fired home on seventy minutes.

North Skelton FC 0 St. Mary's College OB 3

The College moved to the top of the Stokesley League with a 3-0 win away to North Skelton who started well but found themselves a goal behind at the interval thanks to a goal from Wally Kaid.

The home side worked hard to get back into the match but two strikes from Mark Elliott put paid to any hopes that they might have had of producing an upset.

Coulby Newham LF 3 Woodman's Arms 1

The Woodman's Arms cup form deserted them once again leaving them on the wrong end of a 3-1 scoreline despite reaching the final of the Cliff Wells Trophy last weekend. Coulby wasted no time going in front when Mark Salvati and Mark Sowerby combined to set up Matthew Symmonds after just 45 seconds play. Chris Mothersill equalised on seven minutes with a low drive into the back of the net but Coulby's lead was restored when keeper Partick Pisani's clearance reached Salvati who took the ball on a couple of yards before unleashing a twenty yard shot that dipped over the keeper. Another pin point pass this time from Neil McGloughlin, released Salvati a minute before half time. The striker showed excellent control before executing a fine finish. Despite Coulby creating a number of chances, the scoreline remained at 3-1 till the final whistle thanks in the main to some fine work from the Woodman's keeper.

Coke Ovens 2 Bull's Head 3

Despite taking an early lead, the Bull's Head trailed at half time after the Coke Ovens had hit back with two goals. The Bulls Head kept up the pressure and drew level when Liam Balls took his chance well with twenty minutes remaining.

Five minutes late, Balls struck again to put the Bull's ahead for the second time in the game only on this occasion they held firm despite some late pressure from the Coke Ovens.