Table toppers Spennymoor Voltigeur did their title chances no harm with a home win over Bishop Auckland Grand A this week.

Dean Main and Tony Biddle got the hosts off to a good start before Steve Gardiner chalked one up for the Grand. The Volti took the next four frames, two from Andy Mole and the others from David Graham and Kelvin Anderson. Michael Keane scored another for the Grand before Darren Briggs and Dean Mains wrapped up an 8-2 singles victory for the home side. Kelvin Anderson and Andy Mole kept things in the same vein with a win in the first doubles as did Dean Mains and David Graham in the second. The Grand's Rob Dalton kept his chances of the captain's trophy alive with a win to leave him three points behind the leader (Steven Webb of Bishop Auckland Manor) with three games left to play.

The Grand B team fared much better in their home match against Spennymoor Victoria. Dave Wilson and Keith Young won the opening two before the visitors replied through Andy Cairns. The home side took the next six, Derek Cooper winning two with one each for Phil Young, Brian Cable, Neil Bracegirdle and Dave Wilson before Steven Hodgson got the final singles point for the visitors. The Grand continued their winning ways with Keith Young and Malcolm Cooper taking the first doubles and Phil Young with Derek Cooper taking the second. Brian Cable wrapped up the game taking the captains to give the Grand an 11-2 victory.

With the end of the season looming Spennymoor Voltigeur top the league with 135 points and one game remaining. Bishop Auckland Manor are 11 points behind with two games remaining (a possible 20 points), Bishop Auckland Derby are a further 10 behind them with two matches remaining.

The Voltiguer also lead in the A doubles with 15 wins and one game left to play and their nearest rivals are Bishop Auckland Grand B who are on 13 with two left to play. The B Doubles trophy is wide open with three teams on 12 wins with two games left to play. Those teams are Bishop Auckland Manor, Bishop Auckland King's Head and Bishop Auckland Grand B.

Results: Bishop Auckland Grand B 11 (8) Spennymoor Victoria 2 (2); Bishop Auckland King's Head 9 (7) Spennymoor Hillingdon 4 (3); Bishop Auckland Manor 12 (10) Bishop Auckland Green Tree 1 (1); Spennymoor Voltigeur 10 (8) Bishop Auckland Grand A 3 (2); Spennymoor Wheatsheaf 5 (3) Bishop Auckland Derby 8 (5).

Spennymoor League

Spennymoor Black Horse held on to a share of the top spot in the table when they edged through to victory at Spennymoor North eastern by two points. The joint holders, Spennymoor Salvin Arms recorded a similar victory at home to Spennymoor Hillingdon B.

The Black Horse looked to be on course for a big win at the North eastern for the home side only managed to take one of the singles when C. Hughes won. The Horse had singles points from John McIver, Glyn Porter, Keith Turner and Dave Miller. They extended their lead when Glyn Porter and John McIver took the first doubles. However the North Eastern fought back with L. Atkinson and R. Davies winning the second doubles and C. Hughes beating Dave Miller in the captain's game.

Results: Spennymoor F.C. 8 Coxhoe Red Lion 0; Spennymoor Voltigeur 6 Spennymoor Quinns Inn 2; Spennymoor Crown 3 Spennymoor Half Moon 5; Spennymoor Hillingdon A 4 Spennymoor Ash Tree 4; Low Spennymoor Victoria 5 Spennymoor Pit Laddie 3; Spennymoor Railway B 6 Spennymoor White Horse 2; Spennymoor Salvin Arms 5 Spennymoor Hillingdon B 3; Spennymoor North Eastern 3 Spennymoor Black Horse 5. Nor result from Spennymoor Victoria v Spennymoor Railway A (home side deducted two points).

Bishop Auckland and District League

Henknowle Manor B maintained their unbeaten record but they were taken to the decider before beating the visiting Bishop Auckland Cumberland Arms. The Manor had two singles points from Andrew Tuesday and one each from David Jacomb, Mark Heward and Lee Ellison, whilst the Cumberland had two from Karl Neilson and one each from Jack Proud, Danny Robson and Andy Breen. The Manor went ahead when Mark Heward and Andrew Tuesday won the doubles but Karl Neilson took the first captain's game to level the match only to see David Jacomb beat him in the decider. The strong Spennymoor Ash Tree went two points clear at the top when they only dropped three points to the visiting Bishop Auckland Football Club. The home side had two points each for Stephen Jones, Steve Hunter and Paul Biddle with Ronnie McAloon adding one. The footballers replied with two points from Tony Lambert and one from Craig Lumley. However the Ash Tree finished in style with Steve Hunter and Ronnie McAloon taking the doubles and Paul Biddle beating Lee Taylor in both captain's games.

Crook Coach and Horses A and Tow Law Station share second place, two points behind the Ash Tree and one ahead of Spennymoor Weardale.

Results: Bishop Auckland Derby 7 Bishop Auckland Manor A 6; Ferryhill Greyhound 2 Spennymoor Weardale 11; Bishop Auckland Snooker Club A 4 Crook Olde Horse Shoe 9; Bishop Auckland Manor B 7 Bishop Auckland Cumberland Arms 6; Witton Park Rose and Crown 6 Bishop Auckland Snooker Club B 7; Spennymoor Ash Tree 10 Bishop Auckland Football Club 3; Crook Coach and Horses A 12 Crook Coach and Horses B 1; Toft Hill Three Tuns 2 Tow Law Station 11.