FROM this newspaper 150 years ago. - At Durham Assizes, on Monday morning, Mr Thomas Mills of Stockton, sail-cloth maker, was called on the petty jury. The summoning officer said he would prefer paying the fine - Mr Barron Parke said: "Let him be fined then. I fine him £10. Perhaps he will know better next time."

From this newspaper 100 years ago. - On Monday, the old parish church at Northallerton was gay for the celebration of two weddings and there was a great assemblage of guests to take part in the joy and congratulation. The first ceremony was completed about 2.30, when the second celebration had to start. The bridegroom and guests had all arrived expectant. The only person missing was the bride, and she was momentarily expected. The cabman had brought the bridesmaid and he had just to return for the bride. The silent or the whispering church waited in pleased expectancy. Five, ten, 15 minutes slipped by and no bride. It was getting uncomfortable near three o'clock, after which no marriages can be legally celebrated. The assembly got a little uneasy and the vicar consulted his watch often. Ten minutes to three! Everyone on tenter-hooks! At five minutes to three, the vicar announced that it was too late for the marriage to take place.

And what was the explanation? The bride was waiting too - for the cabman. And the cabman was waiting too - waiting for the party coming out the church! He had somehow omitted to go for the bride. When he was found at three o'clock his horse broke its own record and the bride was deposited at the church at 3.10 but the vicar could not proceed with the ceremony. The wedding took place next morning at eight o'clock sans much ceremony - the bride walked.

From this newspaper 50 years ago. - Skidding on the icy road when passing over Hestholme Bridge, between West Witton and Asygarth, on Monday, a lorry driven by a Stockton man struck the supporting stone wall, knocking down about 30 feet and a buttress. The driver escaped serious injury.

From this newspaper 25 years ago. - When Mr Jimmy Gregson, secretary of the Hawes Cricket Club, visited the pavilion recently, he found that thieves had once again been active. Tools had been taken, entry having been gained through a window. However, much to his astonishment, a box of electric lampholders had been left behind. These, it is thought, belonged to Mr R Facer, an electrician of Hawes, whose car was burgled some months ago. The irony for Mr Gregson was that the cricket pavilion is not connected to the electricity supply.