A WOMAN is recovering in hospital this morning after she was rushed to hospital when fire ripped through the living room of her terraced house.

Three fire crews were called to her home in Oliver Street, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough at 5.57am.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus and hose reels to tackle the blaze and rescue a woman from the living room.

It is believed a cigarette started the fire. Her front room suffered extensive fire and smoke damage. The rest of her home was damaged by smoke.

She was taken to James Cook University Hospital for precautionary checks but is thought to be recovering well.