A venomous snake has been spotted at a popular County Durham nature reserve as pet owners have been warned about keeping themselves and their pets safe. 

The sighting, which took place at Pow Hill Country Park in Edmundbyers, near Consett, saw a walker see an adder and catch a glimpse of a second one. 

The person who spotted it, who wished to remain anonymous, said they were 'shocked' at seeing the snake' and revealed that they had heard about adders in the country park, but had never seen one up until that point. 

Read more: Snakes in North East: Warning to dog owners as 12 spotted

This is the 13th sighting of adders in the North East this year, which have been mapped by a nature agency. 

Within the locations for the spotting of snakes, Consett, Stanhope, Battersby, and another adder up near Edmundbyers are included in the map. 

The Northern Echo: The sighting, which took place at Pow Hill Country Park in Edmundbyers, near Consett, saw a walker

Alongside the map, some advice has been shared for both adder bites, which can affect both pets and humans, making them particularly worrisome to dog walkers.

How poisonous are adders?

Adders are famous for being the UK's only venomous snake but while the bite can be painful and cause inflammation, there is generally very little danger to humans.

The bite can be very dangerous to very young, ill or old people.

Medical attention should be sought immediately if conditions worsen.

What you should do if you're bitten by an adder?

According to the NHS website, those who have been bitten by an adder should remain calm as most snake bites in the UK are not serious.

They should then keep the affected part of the body still and lie in the recovery position before taking paracetamol for the pain.

Remembering the colour pattern of the snake is also advisable so the doctor can treat the bite better.

Victims of snake bites should also remove any jewellery and loosen the clothes around the bite in case of swelling.

It is advised that they stay away from the snake, avoid sucking the poison out of the bite and completely avoid the use of aspirin or ibuprofen as these may make the bleeding worse.

If you or someone you know has been bitten by a snake you should call 999 or visit A&E immediately.

What should you do if your dog is bitten by an adder?

According to the experts are Kennel Store, dog owners should remain calm to help their dogs.

They should then try and remember what the snake looks like or take a photograph of it, so the bite can be treated more effectively.

Owners should keep their dog as still as possible to prevent the venom from spreading and avoid touching the bite (even if applying bandages or dressing).

You should then call your vet to inform them of the situation before bringing them to it.