MARK McCourt’s life was turned upside down in an instant when a car pulled out at a junction as he rode his motorcycle along a County Durham country lane, in April last year.

The former marine engineer was riding moments behind fiancée Maria Kajda near Middleton-in-Teesdale, and only had seconds to react when the car emerged into his path.

Despite trying to steer around the car, it hit him, throwing him off his bike, over the vehicle’s bonnet sending him skidding along the road.

As he lay conscious, face down in the road, trying to work out what had happened, to his horror the car carried on in his direction and ran over his midriff, crushing his pelvic area, with the force flipping him onto his back.

The 39-year-old, of South Shields, said: “I was riding along and could see a white car at a junction ahead of me.

“I had right of way but could suddenly see it started moving out.

“All I was thinking was: ‘Please don’t hit me.’

“I had about 15 metres to react.

“The front of the car hit the bike, I hit the bonnet and continued moving down the road.

“I felt the hard hit on my left side and was awake, when the front and rear left wheels of the car rolled over my pelvis.

“I don’t think the driver realised they had run over me and thought I was where my bike was.

“I was shouting in pain and tried to get up but couldn’t move.”

Mr McCourt was air lifted to the Major Trauma Centre at The James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough, where specialist medical staff operated on him.

His pelvis, left leg, knee, and ribs were broken, his vertebrate was fractured and internal organs, including his urethra, were damaged.

The urethra is the tube that allows urine to pass out of the body.

Mr McCourt underwent multiple operations, including emergency surgery two days into his hospital stay, when his chest and neck swelled up, causing him difficulty breathing.

This was caused by surgical emphysema as a result of the trauma.

He was left temporary paralysed by the incident and only left hospital after nearly four weeks, once he was able to sit out of bed.

Read more: Two rushed to hospital after A68 crash near Witton-le-Wear

On his return home he had to stay in a medical bed in his living room and use a wheelchair commode to go to the toilet.

His fiancée, a teacher, was given two months leave to care for him and, during the summer, they also set up a make-shift shower in the garden with a pop-up tent and battery powered shower.

He said: “I’m so lucky that I had the support around me.

“My fiancée was amazing as I couldn’t get out of bed on my own.

“She had to help me go to the toilet and wash. If I had been single, I would have had to live with my parents and get my mum to do this, which you don’t expect when you’re in your thirties.

“When things are taken away from you, you appreciate the little things like a shower and cleaning your own teeth.

“I remember feeling water drip down my face for the first time and it felt like a massive deal.”

It took him 12 weeks to be able to put weight on his feet and walk for the first time, which was frustrating for someone who had been very fit and active.

Now, a year later, he has undergone seven operations and is receiving specialist treatment in London for his damaged bladder and urethra.

He is undergoing physio for his pelvic area and walks with a limp due to weakness in his left leg.

Mr McCourt said: “It’s been a long journey and I’m still not at the end of it yet. The infections and setbacks get you down.

“When people look at me now, compared to a year ago, they’re amazed at the progress I have made.

“But, although the scars and bruising have gone, and I’m back walking, my life still isn’t the same.

“I still have difficulty going to the toilet. I’m waiting for reconstruction work on my bladder and urethra and have nerve damage in my pelvic area.

“People also don’t see the psychological impact something like this has. I still have night terrors about it and suffered PTSD, which I sought help for.”

The former marine engineer, who spent most of his life working on oil tankers, was about to start his ‘dream job’ as an ROV pilot, operating a submersible craft, two days after the crash.

Due to his injuries and risk of bleeding, he’s been told he won’t be able to work at sea again as the remote places he would operate in would not have the medical equipment or urgent access needed should the worst happen.

The driver of the car involved in the crash pleaded guilty to causing injury by driving without due care and attention at Peterlee Magistrates Court, on 10 September 2021.

He £100 fined, with a further £100 in costs and court fees, while he received five penalty points on his licence.

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our dedicated County Durham Facebook page for all the latest in the area by clicking here.

For all the top news updates from right across the region straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on or contact 01325 505054