A MAN chased from a shop for being abusive to staff pulled out a knife and stabbed one of two members of the public who pursued him from the premises.

Ian Ord, who had drunk eight pints before leaving home that evening, slashed the man just below the chin and to his shoulder.

Durham Crown Court heard that as the victim fell and lapsed in and out of consciousness his partner, who was present, feared he would die.

The judge sentencing Ord said had the initial wound been, “an inch or so lower”, that might have been the outcome.

Robin Turton, prosecuting, said the incident took place at Home Bargains, on Essington Way Retail Park, at Peterlee, at 6.30pm on October 27, last year.

Ord was abusive to staff and was refused service, as observed by two members of the public who restrained him in the foyer of the premises, before releasing him.

He was then abusive to the partner and father of one of his pursuers prior to producing and using the knife, which was later recovered from the tarmac, minus its handle, which had become detached.

Mr Turton said the victim was treated at hospital with medical sutures and was released from the accident and emergency ward at 12.25am but had to return the following day for more treatment due to further bleeding from the shoulder injury.

Reading his impact statement, the victim said he had been a, “happy-go-lucky” type of person prior to the incident, but has since suffered panic attacks, irregular heart beats and is reminded of the attack every day due to his scars to his body and face.

He has also suffered anxiety and depression, which has caused him relationship difficulties, and for which he has undergone counselling sessions.

But he added that the “biggest and hardest thing” for him had been the fact his partner feared he may die as he as he lapsed in and out of consciousness.

The 25-year-old defendant, of Sixth Street, Horden, who initially claimed he acted in self-defence, went on to admit unlawful wounding and possessing a bladed article, prior to his scheduled trial.

Read more: Ex-Royal Engineer made Nazi gesture to Spurs fans during match at Newcastle in October

Jane Waugh, in mitigation, said although his behaviour to staff was, “abusive and unpleasant”, she added: “At no time did he offer violence.”

She claimed there was, “a significant degree of provocation”, thereafter, as physical force was used on the defendant as he was backing away prior to him pulling out the knife.

Miss Waugh said the defendant has mental health issues and was suffering delusions at the time, at one stage during the incident asking his pursuers if they were the police.

He later told a psychiatrist that he thought the police were trying to kill him.

Judge James Adkin told Miss Waugh: “Isn’t part of the problem here that he’s had mental health problems for years and years and knows how he behaves when he doesn’t take his medication?

“He chose not to take his medication.”

Miss Waugh said he was prescribed limited amounts of medication to prevent him from overdosing and due to his, “chaotic lifestyle” did not always have sufficient remaining.

Imposing a 32-month prison sentence, the judge said aggravating features of the case were the past record of the defendant, including 13 convictions for violence, his intoxication and the arming of himself with a knife before leaving his home that evening.

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our dedicated County Durham Facebook page for all the latest in the area by clicking here.

For all the top news updates from right across the region straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on newsdesk@nne.co.uk or contact 01325 505054