A TEENAGER accused of murdering a father-of-five during a drunken row on a garage forecourt was involved in a pub disturbance after fleeing the scene.

The 16-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was caught on CCTV being escorted out of a Consett bar in the early hours of the morning, Teesside Crown Court heard.

He was then caught showing people ‘boxing moves’ whilst outside the pub before he became embroiled in another brief disturbance.

Jurors heard how the footage was taken less than two hours after he had launched a violent attack on Thomas Mallaby at the Esso service station in Annfield Plain last September.

Read more: Murder trial hears horrifying moment dad was punched in County Durham petrol station attack​

The 40-year-old suffered fatal head injuries when he cracked his skull on the concrete after he was punched to the ground by the teenager, who was 15 at the time of the incident.

Detective Constable Gary Barnes, of Durham Constabulary, took the jury through the timeline of events leading up to the fatal incident and the following hours.

The officer showed jurors the footage of the teenager after he had been dropped off in Consett to continue his night out.

The Northern Echo: The Esso garage at Annfield Plain.The Esso garage at Annfield Plain.

Earlier the court heard how trouble flared between to groups of people who were in two cars on the forecourt in the early hours of the morning – a Mercedes the defendant was travelling in and a red VW Beetle that Mr Mallaby was travelling in.

The driver of a Mercedes, who cannot be named for legal reasons said he took the decision to drive away from the garage to de-escalate the situation before dropping his friends off and returning to give his details to the police.

Jurors heard how the defendant was panicking in the car asking ‘if everything was going to be alright’ because he knew it was serious situation.

Mr Mallaby suffered significant head injuries and was taken to hospital but never regained consciousness and died on September 28.

Initially, the teenager was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm but was charged with murder following Mr Mallaby’s death two days after the altercation.

He denies murder but has admitted manslaughter.

The trial continues.

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our dedicated County Durham Facebook page for all the latest in the area by clicking here.

For all the top news updates from right across the region straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on newsdesk@nne.co.uk or contact 01325 505054