A MAN who was involved in a knife fight with his step-brother, who almost lost an arm, has walked free from court.

CCTV caught Tyson Petch armed with a large machete and approaching the defendant's then-Guisborough home.

Stephen Petch was initially charged with wounding with intent and possession of a bladed article following the violent clash in December 2020.

When Tyson Petch was sentenced in May last year when the judge told him 'You joined yourself in a knife fight and you lost'.

However, the more serious offence was dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service and he pleaded guilty to the weapon charge.

Paul Abrahams, prosecuting, said: "He (Tyson Petch) was observed waving around a large machete, he left the scene and shortly afterwards the defendant was seen to leave his property – at the time he was on a mobile telephone and was in the process of concealing a large machete in his jacket."

Teesside Crown Court heard how the defendant was later seen running near his home address before hiding something in bushes.

Mr Abrahams said a year after the incident Petch handed himself into police.

The 37-year-old, of Newham Grange, Stockton, admitted possession of a bladed article – which was never recovered by the police.

Jeremy Hill-Baker, in mitigation, said: "This was 13-months ago and he has not been in any trouble since then."

He told the court that Petch had spent almost a year on an electronically monitored curfew and spent two weeks in custody following his arrest in December last year.

Judge Timothy Stead sentenced Petch to 100 hours of unpaid work as part of a 12-month community order.

He said: "It is too your credit that you have done nothing wrong since this episode and if be truth be known, I don't know what was underlying it but you didn't actually threaten anybody with the thing you took from your garage."

Petch was also ordered to pay £100 towards court costs.

Read more: "You joined yourself in a knife fight and you lost" - Machetes used as step-brothers fight in the street

His step-brother Tyson was jailed for eight months for his role in the fight on December 4, 2020, where he suffered a deep wound to his arm.

The pair clashed just days before their father died of cancer, Teesside Crown Court heard at the time.

The-then 24-year-old came off worst in the violent confrontation suffering a deep laceration to his arm.

Sentencing him, Judge Howard Crowson said: "The fact you found yourself with such a significant wound is good evidence of what happens when people arm themselves with large bladed weapons."

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our dedicated Teesside Facebook page for all the latest in the area by clicking here.

For all the top news updates from right across the region straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on newsdesk@nne.co.uk or contact 01325 505054