THE A1(M) northbound between junctions 62 (Carville) and 63 (Chester-le-Street) has reopened to motorists after three people were rushed to hospital following a serious collision earlier today (January 10). 

The incident, which occured at around 7.20am and reportedly involved "multi-vehicles", closed the major A-road for eight hours while emergency services could investigate the crash. 

Two ambulances, a fire engine and several police cars were joined by two crews from the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) at the scene this morning. 

Read more: Crash closes major County Durham road as three rushed to hospital

One motorist with reported serious injuries was taken to Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle, while two others with more minor injuries were transported to the University Hospital of North Durham.

In a statement, a spokesperson for the North East Ambulance Service said: "We were called to reports of a multi-vehicle road traffic collision on the A690/A1 northbound around the Durham area at 7.21am this morning.

"We dispatched two ambulance crews and two crews from our Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) and transported two patients to University Hospital of North Durham and one patient was transported to the Royal Victoria Infirmary."

The Northern Echo: Five miles worth of tailbacks was seen on the A1(M) Northbound this morning.Five miles worth of tailbacks was seen on the A1(M) Northbound this morning.

A spokesperson for County Durham and Darlington Fire Service added: "Reports of a four-vehicle road traffic collision on the A1(M) came into CDDFRS control at 7:23am today.

"Three appliances from Durham, High Handenhold and the Target response vehicle (TRV) from Durham attended the incident and made the vehicles safe. Fire crews left the scene at 8:39am.”

In the aftermath of the collision, the A1(M) was closed to all traffic, with those travelling the route queued back for five miles. Diversion routes were in place, but some vehicles were already stuck and unable to reach a slip road exit. 

Read more: LIVE: A1 crash causes five mile tailbacks for North East motorists

Durham Constabulary have confirmed that they are still investigating the crash - but the road was reopened at 3.20pm after eight hours of closures. 

Confirming the news of the reopening of the A1(M), a spokesperson for Highways England said: "The A1M northbound between J62 and J63 has now open following the earlier collision and police investigation work. Delays are clearing." 

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our dedicated County Durham Facebook page for all the latest in the area by clicking here.

For all the top news updates from right across the region straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on or contact 01325 505054