A COUNCIL has warned of a “serious ongoing health and safety concern” after carelessly discarded batteries sparked several fires onboard its bin wagons.

Redcar and Cleveland Council said batteries were being disposed of by some residents among their household waste.

Read more: Horses take over the high street as part of centuries-old fair tradition

The local authority said when punctured this had led to several fire-related incidents.

A report for cabinet members said: “To date crews have managed to tip out the loads before any serious damage was caused to the vehicle or harm to members of staff.

“However this is still a serious ongoing health and safety concern.”

In response the council has located 12 recycling banks for small electrical items such as batteries throughout the borough.

Cllr Julie Craig said batteries can be collected safely by refuse crews, but only if presented separately to household waste and recycling.

They can also be safely disposed of at the council’s Dunsdale household waste and recycling centre.
The site, off Redcar Road, Dunsdale, near Guisborough, is in line for a half-a-million pound upgrade which is intended to give customers a more user-friendly experience when visiting and extend the range of recycling options available.

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our dedicated Teesside Facebook page for all the latest in the area by clicking here.

For all the top news updates from right across the region straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on newsdesk@nne.co.uk or contact 01325 505054