A DRUNKEN row in a late night bar left one young woman with facial injuries after a glass smashed into her face when it was thrown at her.

A fight erupted in the outside drinking area of Harvey's Late Bar in the early hours of the morning when two groups of drinkers clashed.

CCTV footage from the incident was shown to the judge at Teesside Crown Court when Courtney Corrie appeared to be sentenced for unlawful wounding.

During the melee in the Darlington town centre bar, the victim was involved in a confrontation with another woman before punches were thrown and the violence escalated to the glass being smashed into the woman's face.

Sam Faulks, prosecuting, said the victim suffered lacerations to her face which would leave a lasting scar.

In a victim impact statement, the woman said she had hoped her attacker would have shown some remorse but had heard how she had been bragging about the attack.

"I could have lost the sight in my eye and it has caused me a lot of pain," she said. "I had to take a lot time off work which has cost me a lot of money and had a devastating affect on my mental health.

"Afterwards, I just felt anxious; I didn't want to go anywhere, I didn't want to see anybody.

"I just hoped that by now Courtney would have shown a little bit of remorse but what I have heard from mutual friends is that is not the case. She still continues to brag about it and I don't understand why she has such hard feelings towards me.

"I do hope that whatever she is going through that the court can help her rehabilitate her and help change her mindset so that stuff like this doesn't happen again because I am lucky that I have still got both eyes in my head."

Corrie, of Thomas Court, Darlington, pleaded guilty to a charge of unlawful wounding following the attack on April 4, 2019.

Mark Styles, in mitigation, said his client had expressed remorse for her actions when speaking to her ahead of the court case.

He said the 23-year-old was struggling with emotional issues at the time of the attack and is now taking steps to address her substance abuse.

Judge Recorder Nathan Adams sentenced Corrie eight months in custody, suspended for 12 months, and ordered her to observe a curfew between 8pm and 6am for four months.

He added: "That sort of behaviour, is of course, utterly unacceptable. The potential to cause someone serious harm, somebody throwing the glass, is of itself extremely dangerous and can't be accepted in society.

"Doing it in a crowded in a pub even more so."