A MAN was Tasered twice after police stopped him on his way to sister’s house armed with a knife.

Craig Gibson was in a highly agitated state when officers attempted to speak to him as he wandered the streets of Middlesbrough.

Teesside Crown Court heard how Gibson's reaction to police stopping resulted in him being Tasered twice.

Paul Abrahams, prosecuting, said the 44-year-old left his home address armed with a knife as he headed towards his sister's home along Ormesby Road, Middlesbrough, on May 29 this year.

He said: "He was on his way to tackle his sister and failed to listen to the warning of the police officer."

Mr Abrahams said the defendant had to be hit twice with a Taser before being subdued by the officers.

A search of Gibson revealed he had a large kitchen knife hidden underneath his jacket and a quantity of a Class C drug.

The court heard how the defendant aroused suspicion with officers when he was wearing a thick coat on a hot day.

Gibson, of Dorothy Street, Middlesbrough, pleaded guilty to possession of a bladed article and possession of a Class C drug – Zopiclone.

The court heard he had 35 previous convictions from 83 offences, including one for carrying a knife in public and robbery.

And was currently on a suspended sentence for carrying another bladed article – a craft knife.

In mitigation, Michele Turner said her client had been in custody since his arrest in May after he was recalled on licence and urged the judge to consider a suspended sentence.

She said: "The reality is this was a matter that occurred on May 29, strangely he was released on bail, which was perhaps something which didn't help him.

"He has been remanded in custody since June."

She added: "It's right to say that any time in custody will not come off any sentence and, in my submission, a prison sentence of six months would be unjust because he has already served the equivalent of three months on remand while in custody."

Miss Turner said Gibson should be given credit for his early guilty plea.

The judge, Recorder Anthony Hawk said: "Someone was so concerned about your behaviour on May 29 they rang the police to say you were going round to your a family member's house intent on causing damage with a knife.

"You were spoken to by the police, you were clearly in an agitated state, you weren't co-operating with the police and had to be twice Tasered and you did have a knife on you at the time.

"People who go out with a knife should expect to be locked up."

The judge jailed Gibson 12 months and ordered the destruction of the knife.

He added: "It's up to you how you live your life but if continue like this you will get longer and longer spells in custody."