A MAN with a history of violent and controlling behaviour is back behind bars after restarting his campaign of abuse the day he walked out of prison.

Mark Jeffrey’s record was described by a judge as ‘some of the worst’ he had seen regarding controlling and coercive behaviour.

The 26-year-old was met at the prison gates on September 6 last year by his then-partner and within hours had started bullying and abusing her, Teesside Crown Court heard.

Vicki Lamballe, prosecuting, said the violence and abuse played a major role throughout the couple’s three-year long relationship.

She told the judge that Jeffrey had been sentenced in July to 26 weeks in custody for a charge of common assault and battery on his former partner.

However, his victim was still at the gates of Holme House Prison in Stockton to welcome back and try to rekindle their relationship.

Miss Lamballe said: “They went shopping in Stockton and he started calling her names and accusing her of sleeping with another man.”

Over the next five days, Jeffrey continued to be abusive and aggressive towards his partner and started to demand money so he could buy drugs.

She added: “He became angry and pushed her by the shoulder into a wall. She tried to cuddle him to calm him down and he bit her ear forcibly.

“Over the course of the next few days he continued to abuse her in public.”

Jeffrey, formerly of Glamis Walk, Hartlepool, pleaded guilty to a charge of controlling and coercive behaviour on the day he was expected to stand trial.

In mitigation, David Penman told the judge that it was the complainant who sought out his client upon his release from prison but he’s ‘not suggesting that she is in anyway to blame for what happened’.

He said: “As far as the offence is concerned, I don’t make any representations that there will be any other sentence other than immediate custody. The offence covers a wide range and type of behaviour which has taken place over a number of years and days.”

Jeffrey, who has 72 convictions for 132 offences including assault, battery and robbery, was jailed for 14 months and issued with a three-year restraining order to stay away from his victim.

“You have one of the worst records for a case of this kind that I have ever seen,” said Judge Paul Watson QC. “She came to meet you when you left prison and the violence and intimidation started almost immediately.

“It is a character of her life with you and it began again in September last year.

“If you had pleaded not guilty the sentence would have been 18 months, I’m giving four-month credit for your guilty plea, so you will serve 14 months.”