A 17-year-old youth has pleaded guilty to affray in connection with the death of Luke Jobson.

The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, made the admission to affray, this morning when he appeared at Teesside Crown Court.

His co-accused Edwin Taha, 19, of Lavender Way, Norton, pleaded not guilty to the same charge at an earlier hearing at Teesside Magistrates Court. The charge was not put to him today.

Richard Bennett, prosecuting, told the judge that three other people are expected to charged next week in relation to the incident last year.

He said: "The three others will be charged on February 10, they will be put before the justices and the case will be expedited to this court."

James Bourne-Arton, representing the 17-year-old, asked for his client's case to be dealt with as soon as possible as he turns 18 later this year.

He said: "My client is 17, he was 16 at the time of the offence. The issue is whether the court should remit him to the youth court for sentence where a referral order will be an option.

"I'm anxious to try and resolve matters on his behalf before June."

Mr Bourne-Arton told the court that a basis of plea had been submitted on behalf of his client for the prosecution to consider.

The case was adjourned until March 3 for a further hearing.

Following Mr Jobson's death, members of the public gathered alongside his family, who hosted the tribute as a celebration of his life.

The 22-year-old, from Thornaby, went missing following a night out in Yarm last January.

His body was found in the River Tees in Yarm a few days later.

At the riverside, pieces of red ribbon and red balloons, with personal messages were left as a reminder of the region’s huge support.

More than 200 individual pieces of ribbon had been tied to the railings of Yarm Wharf, whilst hundreds more were tied to railings and lamppost’s near Sainsbury’s car park, as space by the riverside dwindled.

A floral tribute, decorated with candles and pictures of Mr Jobson, had been carefully put together.