AN anonymous tip-off about a suspicious driver who had been on a 'three-day bender' resulted in a police chase through the streets of Stockton.

David Hobson was reportedly under the influence of drink or drugs when he got behind the wheel of his black VW Golf in November last year.

Teesside Crown Court heard how the 36-year-old was spotted by patrolling officers in the Norton area and police pursuit ensued as Hobson put his foot down to evade arrest.

Jenny Haigh, prosecuting, said the defendant travelled at speeds of up to 80mph as he drove around Stockton attempting to flee Cleveland Police.

She said at one point Hobson was forced to slow down as he approached a primary school and nursery on Durham Road.

The defendant then attempted to force his way past a Ford Mondeo smashing into the side of it before continuing on his high-speed chase.

Miss Haigh said: "The collision had done some damage to the car as it was swaying from side to side. The officer thought he had lost control of the vehicle and thought it was too dangerous to continue the pursuit and started to withdraw.

"The car was damaged and the officer was following at a safe distance."

She said the car then ended up on an embankment before a woman passenger ran away. However, Hobson was rugby-tackled to the ground as he attempted to flee the scene.

A search of the car discovered a rock of crack cocaine and a modified baton stashed in the door pocket.

Hobson, of Raglan Close, Stockton, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, possession of crack cocaine, possession of an offensive weapon and driving under the influence of drugs.

In mitigation, Kelleigh Lodge, told the court that her client had struggled with the anniversary of his father's death and started taking drugs again.

"He had relapsed into taking drugs," she said. "He was on a three-day bender when he committed these offences and he had no recollection whatsoever of the offences taking place."

Judge Howard Crowson said it was lucky that no-one had been seriously hurt as a result of his dangerous driving.

He sentenced to a total of 15-months and banned from driving for 18 months.