A PEDESTRIAN had to dive to safety as a car suddenly crossed a pavement at speed at a street corner, a court was told.

He was one of three men walking along Front Street, Blackhall, at 5pm on August 28, 2018.

Durham Crown Court heard that the pedestrian had heard that defendant, Lewis Ian Olver, was, “out to get him”.

Chris Baker, prosecuting, said Olver was seen at the wheel of a Vauxhall Corsa with his girlfriend and children passengers in the car, at the time.

Having driven past the group of three, Olver turned around and headed back towards them, at speed, mounting the pavement as he approached.

Mr Baker said one of the trio had to take cover behind a wall to avoid the Corsa, as it turned off the Front Street, crossing over the pavement, and heading into a side street apparently out of control.

“It careered at high speed going around the corner and collided with railings and a lamppost, causing damage to both.”

Mr Baker said having viewed available footage from commercial premises in the area, Olver was asked to attend the police station, but ran away.

He was finally interviewed about the incident in January last year and denied committing any offence.

Olver told police he drove past the men, one of whom waved his fist in his direction, then he turned around, intending to park, but misjudged the corner, leading to the accident.

He said he had not intended to harm anyone or cause any damage.

But at an earlier plea hearing the 25-year-old defendant, of Rothbury Avenue, Horden, admitted a single count of dangerous driving.

Martin Scarborough, mitigating, said: “It was a stupid thing he did. He drove fast around that corner dangerously and on my advice pleaded ‘guilty’.”

The court was told since the incident, Olver received a suspended sentence for an unconnected offence, for which he has completed all probation-linked elements.

A probation report added he accepts he has issues with impulsivity, recklessness and temper in situations like the incident.

Judge James Adkin said it was no fault of the defendant that the case has not come before the court sooner and, 17 months on from the incident, “events have rather overtaken us.”

“Had it been only a few months later there’s the strong likelihood I would have sent you to prison,” added Judge Adkin.

He passed a nine-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, with 150-hours’ unpaid work and 30-probation supervised activity days.

Olver was also banned from driving for a year.