A WOMAN who stole more than £1,000 worth of stock from a Boyes store as part of a crime spree had just been released from prison for theft weeks earlier.

Newton Aycliffe Magistrates’ Court heard that Michelle Cindy Sabin stole £1,068 worth of toys and menswear from a Boyes store in Bishop Auckland on 30 September.

She then walked into Boots, also in Bishop Auckland, and attempted to steal £230 worth of perfume before she was challenged by staff.

Emma Cruickshank, prosecuting, said: “As she was approached by a member of staff she started shouting at them saying ‘get out of my way’ and began waving her arms around.

“As another member of staff approached her she began shouting at her saying ‘if you don’t get out of my way I’m going to smash your f*****g face in’.”

Sabin pleaded guilty to four charges of theft which also included coffee pods and beauty products worth £45 from Poundland and laundry items worth £44 from Morrisons.

She also pleaded guilty to one charge of using threatening and abusive words and behaviour with intent to cause fear of unlawful violence.

Sabin, of Surtees Street, in Bishop Auckland, has 53 previous convictions for 131 offences, 87 of which are theft related.

A report from a probation officer said: “This lady is very chaotic. She does have drug issues that need addressing, she is quite a vulnerable young lady and often that has the better of her.”

Andrew Clinton, representing Sabin, told magistrates: “I think if you give her too much she will fail because she is limited as to what she can do. She does have a drug problem.

“I would hope that you would not send her back to custody because that does not work, she will not have the same level of support.

“She is looking much better today than she was on the last occasion that I saw her and she is presenting in a much better state.”

Keith Burdess-Pennick, chair of the bench, said: “In regards to the four thefts we are going to give you another chance, so you can work with probation.”

The 34-year-old was given a 12 month community order with a requirement to complete 20 rehabilitation activity days.

Sabin was also fined £60, reduced to £40 for her early guilty plea and she must pay £30 compensation to two victims and £1,398 compensation to Boyes and Boots.